Menu
Reece2005
Just joined
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wireless access point

Hi I have ran the cable (Cat 6) to my out door cabin but I wanted to know what would be the best wap to connect to my Virgin media router any ideas please

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wireless access point

depends what you want in the cabin - if wired a switch will do all you want - if wifi and/or wired then an access pint with lan ports is the best option

for reasons i never understood access points used to be more expensive than routers - best choice is a wifi router and set it as an access point - turn off dhcp and change its ip address

Tony
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i use Unifi UAPs
0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Depends on what you want like mentioned in other answers! 

If its Wi-Fi you want then get a standalone AP .. or if its all connected via LAN then buy a switch and plug it all in using CAT5e or 6 from the switch

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

me to!! unifi is awesome!! sorted my wifi issues instantly!! got 4 aps and a gateway now 🙂
** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeh, I would always go for individual pieces of equipment rather than an all-on-one retail router. Much easier to replace and evolve. Currently I use a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro, network switches, APs and cameras.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

agreed!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What are you wanting to do in your cabin? Just connect your own phone whilst in there resting or stream 4K HD video on several devices whilst gaming online and Zooming ?

Do you have an old router sat in a cupboard somewhere - that might be all you need. No point buying a Ferrari just to go to the corner shop and back twice a week.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:
 No point buying a Ferrari just to go to the corner shop and back twice a week.

Why not. If you have the money get 7 one for each day of the week