cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 connectivity issue

domc13
Joining in

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help. I recently switched to Virgin from Sky and having real issues with my windows laptop. All other devices connect to the Hub (Hub 4 I believe) without issue but my work windows laptop drops connection randomly and then reconnects. Very irritating as you can imagine!

I've tried resetting the hub and the laptop and no better. Have tried other devices in the same room and no issues from there. When the laptop is connected it's getting a decent speed.

Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated!

thanks

Dom

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Is the laptop using a VPN? you say "When the laptop is connected it's getting a decent speed." is this the same laptop?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Eeeps
Well-informed

@domc13 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help. I recently switched to Virgin from Sky and having real issues with my windows laptop. All other devices connect to the Hub (Hub 4 I believe) without issue but my work windows laptop drops connection randomly and then reconnects. Very irritating as you can imagine!

I've tried resetting the hub and the laptop and no better. Have tried other devices in the same room and no issues from there. When the laptop is connected it's getting a decent speed.

Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated!

thanks

Dom

When you are having problems like this it's best to investigate each aspect of the 'connection' separately.

Given you mention a works laptop there may be three connections involved.

1. The connection from your SH4 to the VM Internet (through the DOSCIS coaxial cable interface)
2. The connection over the internal WiFi network provided by your SH4
3. A VPN connection from your works laptop to your works vpn server.

Are you using a VPN for work?

First think to do is to eliminate the VPN and WiFi. Can you connect your laptop with an Ethernet cable directly to your SH4?
Can you then use your laptop without connecting the VPN - is it stable. If not that suggests a problem with the DOCSIS connection.

Do that first.

g0akc
Problem sorter

Is an Ethernet (wired) connection also affected or is it only wireless?

Have you, or work IT, checked that drivers are up to date?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hi,

There's no VPN involved so can rule that out. Annoyingly the laptop has no ethernet port so not easy to check it that way!

You may need to invest in a usb3 to ethernet adaptor!

(I assume that the laptop has usb3 as there is no ethernet port which seems to be a feature of newer ones.)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7