cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi to outer building

Piers70
Joining in

Is it totally viable to run a 50m ( waterproof external) ethernet cable straight out of the router down the garden into a laptop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One small point to consider is that Ethernet cable is cheap, so it’s best to run two for contingency sake. My make life easier in the future.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, maximum run is 100 Mtrs.  Get external grade Cat 6 cable.  Use a WiFi access point that has Ethernet ports in the Outbuilding. That way you will have WiFi and Ethernet. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Piers70 wrote:

Is it totally viable to run a 50m ( waterproof external) ethernet cable straight out of the router down the garden into a laptop?

Yes but that would only allow you to plug in the one laptop on the end of the 50m ethernet cable.

If you wanted wifi in the outbuilding you would need to connect a wireless access point on the end of the ethernet cable.

Client62
Hero

Yes, 100m is the limit for a network cable.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Also if you want better than 100/10 Mbps make sure it has 1GB ethernet ports - many cheaper/older models only have 100 Mbps ports - also 3 or 4 LAN ports to connect devices to on wire.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One small point to consider is that Ethernet cable is cheap, so it’s best to run two for contingency sake. My make life easier in the future.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Tudor wrote:

Absolutely true, the cable cost is nothing compared to the time and effort (and cost) of installing it!