Menu
Dawsoc33
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi to garden room

We've just built a garden room about 20m from the house and would like to have WiFi down there for Internet use and so the smart TV works. We have the 200mps broadband package. I have no idea where to start and am getting very confused with the technical jargon I have been reading on the net. Can anyone let me know if I need a cable run down there or a booster or a router etc 🤔

Thanks in advance for any help 😊

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi to garden room

Run an external grade Ethernet cable from the hub to the GR and then install a wireless access point in the GR with the Ethernet cable connected.

I assume there’s power in the GR?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Simplest and cheapest way is to run exterior grade ethernet cable from the Hub to the garden room and plug in a wireless access point in there.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Dawsoc33
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Yes we do have power down there. OK great. At least I now know cable is the best option 👌

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Get good quality Cat6 cable that is "shielded" from interference.

This is an example of a good WAP with 4 ethernet ports so you can connect other devices by ethernet cable as well (e.g. games consoles).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-AC2000-Wireless-Access-WAC124-100UKS/dp/B01N47QKDQ/

Whichever you go for (cheaper ones are available) make sure it has 1GB ethernet ports.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos