Menu
Jordan555
Joining in
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi issues

We are having the same problems in my house too we are a family of six with 3xboxs and 4 phone connected and randomly kicks us offline in the day and I just don't know what to do beucase we are on the biggest package they do apparently and still no joy and we most get booted offline like around 10times a day and when we call them up they ask me if my devices are hard wired in where I replied with no beucase it's WiFi hence wireless and I just feel that I am not getting the service I am paying for.

But the best one of all is when I am up late like tonight the WiFi went offline at around 4 22am and I have tried restarting the WiFi box turning it off and on and still no joy and I just feel like crying beucase this has been happening for around 4months since I got a new plan with virgin and it's just not the services I won't to be paying for I don't feel that I should be paying £85 a month I believe that is around £1020 pre year and it's not about the price it's the service and I have been looking online to see if anyone else has had similar in counters, which seems to be the problem I just feel like crying guy, lady and gents 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MindOfTim
Tuning in
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Okay first thing to do is to not take no for an answer. When you next call them and they ask if things are hardwired or on wifi say "both, I have some hardwired in, and some that use the wifi. It doesnt make a difference as they all lose internet connection when this happens". Then ask them for an engineer to visit the house and also say you wish to be compensated for the extremely poor service (to which they will tell you to do it online but then they know you mean business). The engineer who arrives will go ahead and test every part of the line to see if there is a fault. He will also do the usual resetting of the hub. Make sure he is aware it happens several times a day but is intermittent so might not happen while he is there. Because its sods law, he likely wont find a problem but as its intermittent and engineers cannot stay all day the first solution is likely going to be to replace the hub and see if that fixes the issue. That helped when they did it for me slightly but not hugely. Instead of the hub stopping internet 10 times a day, it would now do it 2-4. 

Like people on here suggested I would try using the hub on modem mode and get a 3rd party router instead, it seems to make a massive difference

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Jordan555 wrote:

We are having the same problems in my house too we are a family of six with 3xboxs and 4 phone connected and randomly kicks us offline in the day and I just don't know what to do beucase we are on the biggest package they do apparently and still no joy and we most get booted offline like around 10times a day and when we call them up they ask me if my devices are hard wired in where I replied with no beucase it's WiFi hence wireless and I just feel that I am not getting the service I am paying for.

But the best one of all is when I am up late like tonight the WiFi went offline at around 4 22am and I have tried restarting the WiFi box turning it off and on and still no joy and I just feel like crying beucase this has been happening for around 4months since I got a new plan with virgin and it's just not the services I won't to be paying for I don't feel that I should be paying £85 a month I believe that is around £1020 pre year and it's not about the price it's the service and I have been looking online to see if anyone else has had similar in counters, which seems to be the problem I just feel like crying guy, lady and gents 

Firstly don't let this get you down, however frustrating it might be - tech is there to make your life easier and enrich it - not ruin it!

Regarding the service issues, raise a formal complaint, online, with VM.  The CS call centre agents are not usually up to much and can't cope with more than the basic things like the cable is totally disconnected or turn it off/on.   If you don't get anywhere raise it with CISAS.  It all takes time and patience though.

Regarding the technical stuff;

• Need to make sure the line to your hub is all OK - no faults on the cable connection or Virgin equipment in their network - a BQM can help - and check with Ethernet connections to rule out Wi-FI issues.
  • People working from home and maintenance work have impacted utilization and 24/7 connectivity - that can be the issue
  • Do a wireless 'survey' using a free Wi-Fi analyser app - see if there's a neighbouring hub or interference, change channels and so on.   Check in different rooms.
  • Look at using your own router with hub in modem mode - good 3rd party routers will usually outperform the VM hubs in terms of throughput, stability and signal handling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Sofia_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Jordan555.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us. 

I'm very sorry to hear you're experiencing drops in service, I can appreciate how frustrating this must be and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Have you rebooted the Hub recently? If so, has this help improve the drops in service you're experiencing? If not, please perform a pin hole reset on the Hub. You can find how to do this here

Are you also able to set up a BQM to measure the Hub's performance? A BQM is a Broadband Quality Monitor which continually monitors the state of your connection, including network drops. We'd advise keeping this running for 24-48 hours in order to gather enough data, please post the live link here for us to take a look at. 

Thanks,

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos