Menu
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi dropping out (internet ok)

Unfortunately this issue has come back. Our Internet is fine but the wifi drops out several times a day. Interestingly our neighbours also on Virgin are having the same problem.

I never figured out how to respond to ICMP ping on our Hub 3, I can't see an option for this. Are there any further details about where I can find this?? 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Set the Hub Firewall as below ...

Hub-3-Firewall

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, fish tanks, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

There’s nothing to enable on the Hub3 for the BQM to work. It just “works”. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Kanrfbs wrote:

Hi MikeRobbo, thanks for replying.

We have devices connected both ethernet and wifi. Devices connected by ethernet are ok, just the wifi ones drop out. So internet itself seems ok, just the wifi signal is problematic. But we also have a neighbour 3 doors down where the same thing is happening. 

Our engineer has been out 3 times. We did have some old equipment but he upgraded it and made sure all the connectors were good. 

Service status is fine, and I'm sure the engineer would have picked up if it wasn't. 

BQM graph - I set up a BQM graph a few days ago but it just comes back with the red block, not sure how to fix this??

I'll figure out the rest in a bit.... 

Do you have new LED street lamps near the house by any chance ?

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

Do you have new LED street lamps near the house by any chance ?

Not as far as I know! 

Now my hub is saying someone else is logged in when I try to go in to change the ping settings, cba to try and fix that right now sorry! Especially as I suspect it will be of little benefit, as you say it's more likely to be the wifi rather than the broadband quality. 

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Oh I got in and my BQM has been working after all

BQM

Nb I reset the hub at 3pm, wifi has intermittently been dropping out since this morning. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

BQM shows no drops in connection 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos