Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wifi drop out

I have been on the virgin help phone line twice in the last three days to try to resolve the problem of Wi-Fi signal from the hub 3 dropping out. In going through the help forums it appears that the solution to the problem I have is getting a new router. This has never been suggested over the phone, mainly what I seem to get is suggestions to get Wi-Fi boosters and other pretty useless help. The Wi-Fi signal is a combined 2.4 and 5 signal, it drops out randomly for anything from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes and then reappears; most of the devices will not reconnect automatically when it appears. Although the Wi-Fi drops out, the signal through the ethernet connected net gear range extender is fine. I also have a separate system going through an Apple express router and this is fine. It is only this the Wi-Fi signal from the virgin router that disappears. I also have a real-time Wi-Fi signal tracker on the laptop (Wi-Fi explorer) and I can actually see the signal disappear in real time. I have not tried to separate the 2.4 and 5 signals as I noted elsewhere on this forum that that was unsuccessful. Are there any further suggestions? And if not, how do I get a a replacement router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi drop out

Try this to start with ...

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Chanel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Chanel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you WiFi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Until you try you won't know.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And if not, how do I get a a replacement router.

You buy one of your own for £50-150, tick the box in the Hub 3 settings for modem mode, and follow the setup instructions for your new router.

If you go down this route, stick to a respected maker like TP-Link or Asus and you can't go far wrong.  I'd had enough of the poor Hub 3 wifi (a not dissimilar problem of dropouts) and the other day zipped into Argos and bought myself a TP-Link Deco M4 wifi mesh system for £75.  Faster, more reliable wifi, and copes better with troublesome devices, and very easy to setup.

Your main consideration is whether you buy a mid-grade router for say £50-60, a premium grade router for £90-150, or a mesh system (starting at £75 for a two unit pack).  For a smaller property and undemanding use, the mid grade router will suffice.  If you're a power user who wants every possible control, bell and whistle and are looking to be able to get (say) 350-500 Mbps over wireless to a single device when you want that, then a premium grade router is in order.  If you've got a medium or large house (or a smaller property that's not wifi friendly), and you want excellent coverage throughout rather than the peak performance of the premium router, then a mesh system is the way to go.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

MikeRobbo,

Im going to give this a go - even though I saw that somebody else on the Forum tried it to no avail.... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Andruser, bizarrely I hadn't really thought about that ... I would happily pay £75 not to have had all the Hub 3 issues. If I haven't sorted out in a day or two I will follow your advice. I assume the TP link deco M4 will work with Netgear power plug boosters etc..?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry you're having issues with your WiFi silkenwood.

Can I ask if these issues are occurring in every room, or mainly rooms further away from your hub?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Lee,

First off, as per Mike Robbo's suggestion I separated out the 2.4 and 5, no problem doing it but now I have two signals that drop out mostly at the same time - frequency of drop out is currently every 1 - 3 minutes and drops out for 10 - 15 seconds. Occasionally the 2.4 drops out but the 5 doesn't. Dropout only seems to be related to the wifi signal in range of the HUB ... as we speak I am monitoring the wifi signal emitted from the Netgear extender (again on 2.4 and 5) .... we are pretty much out of range of the Hub3 hence the extender, anyway have been watching both signals from the Netgear extender and no drop out for 10 minutes..

In  fact I just went and checked and the Hub3 signal and 2.4 had dropped out but absolutely not so on the extended signal

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I would happily pay £75 not to have had all the Hub 3 issues. If I haven't sorted out in a day or two I will follow your advice. I assume the TP link deco M4 will work with Netgear power plug boosters etc..?

In theory yes, but I have no experience of connecting them to my Deco.  But why would you need them?  The point of a mesh system is that you have two or more wifi units round the house, they work intelligently and co-cooperatively to give optimum performance, and you shouldn't need boosters?  I've got one unit upstairs next to my hub (in modem mode) and the other unit is downstairs - brilliant signal everywhere.  Read some of the reviews of mesh systems to see if they do what you want before buying, and make sure that is is your wireless playing up, not the cable connection - you'd not be happy if you spent money and it turned out to be a cable fault!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi silkenwood. thanks for coming back to us. 

We will send you a private message regarding this 

Chris 

0 Kudos