Menu
Nav2021
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wifi and wired connection keeps dropping for last 4 months

Hi 

We have had this issue for the last few months where the internet keeps dropping out everyday 30 sec to 2 mins at a time and then it keeps dropping out.we have a hub 3 and that has been changed 3 times now also.

We have had the 3 engineers out and still no joy they have changed everything physically and still this happens they said that it might be out devices but even with just one device connect and the rest running off their own data this happens so I am at a loss.  I have brought the power line booster which plugs into the back of the router and still this happens.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/0a56aa2ac286d280b34f68e81abd91382d... 

I have looked at other posts on here and they suggest running BQM which I have the details are above.  Please help!

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi and wired connection keeps dropping for last 4 months

only seeing one small drop. other than that the BGM is near perfect for a cable connection

What happens to the lights on the hub when the connection drops.
When it drops can you ping 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.0.1
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Looks to me like over-utilisation, because latency is poor during waking hours, and pretty good between half midnight and 8 am.  Over-utilisation is VM's term for a capacity problem, meaning more traffic than VM's local network can handle. You can choose to believe whether this is Covid related, or whether VM simply sell contracts until (and indeed after) the local network is at capacity, but the outcome is the same for now.  Of late we've had a further lockdown, and the 2020/21 game and console release cycle, both of which have driven traffic up hugely.   So there's a fair hope that it will fade away when those influences decline.  By VM's standards the over-utilisation is quite modest, and for that reason I'd be surprised if they even acknowledge it, or have a fault reference, and I'd be even more surprised if they did anything to fix it.  If your area is still to be upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1, then that will progressively help, but it won't be an instant fix from that either.  Nothing you can do to improve matters, and nothing the field technicians can do to resolve it, because increasing capacity is complex work that is very different to their skills and training.   I regret to advise that your options are to sit it out (hopefully just for a few months), or get yourself a new ISP.

If you go down new ISP route, check if you're liable for any VM early termination fees because you're in a fixed term contract, and make sure you speak to a competent ISP (AAISP, uno, Aquiss, IDNet, CIX, Zen Internet) to establish your expected speed and whether there's any existing contention (over-utilisation) issues on the Openreach network around you.  Failure to do the first could land you with a big bill, failure to do the second could mean you jump ship and find the situation is no better, but your broadband is slower.  

You can post your hub's status data here and we can pick it over, but if you've had multiple visits and support calls, that should have been checked each time, so I don't hold out much hope we'd find a resolvable problem.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Nav2021
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your advise.  I was fine Jan to feb 2020 before we went in to first time around lock down so I will have to sit tight until things get better So I will leave it for now. Thanks for your advise.

0 Kudos