cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi on London Underground

TRT1968
Superfast

The VirginMedia SSID has vanished from the London Underground network, some time during the day yesterday 30th March 2023.

After doing some digging I found an article in an ISP news website about the HotSpot service ending later this year. The same article also said that the Underground service would continue, but that people would have to switch to WiFi_Extra SSID. This is a secure network, thank goodness, but requires a username and password. Nothing has been forthcoming from Virgin about what's going on with the service or how to continue to benefit from the provision.

To be brutally honest, I looked at dropping Virgin Media as a broadband and TV provider last summer after the previous round of price hikes. It's an awful lot of money to pay when full-fibre competitors are now on the street. My housemate, who works on the Underground, said that I couldn't change provider because of the usefulness of the connectivity underground. So I'd like to know... should I now be looking to switch to a cheaper provider? Or are Virgin going to get their act together and tell people how to continue to use the service? Poor communications from a communication company.

29 REPLIES 29

It was Virgin Media WiFI and I think that I had to do a one-off login with my VM acount username and password. Now I am on O2 due to Volt, so when I'm next on the Underground I'll select Wifi Extra and I should connect automatically according to the TfL web page.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Good luck! 

The Virgin Media WiFi was an unencrypted version of the service. There was an SSID called VirginMedia (no WiFi) that was enabled by profile and used SIM authentication. 

Hi there,

Thank you for your posts here on the community forums regarding Wi-Fi service on the London Underground. We're here to help.

If a customer has a SIM with Virgin Mobile, O2, giffgaff, Tesco Mobile, EE, BT, Three or Vodafone, they will still be able to automatically connect to London Underground's Wi-Fi network.

Customers who previously registered via the Connect App will need to re-connect via the "Wi-Fi Extra" SSID, provided they have a SIM with one of the aforementioned providers. We're aware of an issue impacting some customers where this asks for a username and password, and we're currently investigating that.

If a customer has a SIM with another provider, they will need to check with their provider to make sure they can still access London Underground's Wi-Fi network.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

SpikeyMikey65
Joining in

If you have virgin broadband how you meant to connect to London underground wi fo as previously done, it's a joke 

still no positive development! there is neither a proper explanation nor a solution.

TRT1968
Superfast

Right. This has taken too long, demonstrated far too much disinterest and incompetence and Virgin have just lost a customer. I've just signed with an alternative numerically named competitor and I'll be up and running on their network in a few days. More than £7 a month cheaper too.

M0IZH
Tuning in

I am using Virgin 2 x mobile and Virgin 350mbps broadband, I will change both services as soon as possible... goodbye Virgin Media...

I connected yesterday as an O2 customer. Selected Wifi Extra, chose SIM from the EAP dropdown list and connected immediately.

--

Are o2 or virgin mobile customer? If not o2 did you do anything else to work? 

As I said I'm an O2 customer.

--