cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi keeps stopping. Very frustrating

Panander
Tuning in

Hello .....

My wifi keeps stopping whilst the ethernet works fine. This has been going on for a while now but is particularly bad today. I had the issue a while ago and thought it had been sorted but here we are again.

I have rebooted the router and the wifi does not come back straight away.

Any and all help to solve this would be good.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As it seems to be wifi only... see this...

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order them (cant do it online) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for this but I have no wifi at all - been off for over an hour now. Surely it is hardly settings if it isn't working at all.

Rebooting the router (a Hub3 btw) in this case has done nothing - it is still off.

During our time with Virgin, dropouts have been commonplace.

We are leaving soon because of this amongst other reasons. It would be nihub3wifi.jpgce if it actually worked.As can be seen by the screenshot below there is an issue.

Further to this, it is showing as both 2.4 and 5Ghz signals are disabled. if I enable them and then save settings they come back still disabled.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Right last chance saloon... try this and if it doesnt sort it call it in and report the Hub as faulty as it needs swapping.

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John.

I will try that in the morning. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again for your help.

--

Mick

Hello John ....

Tried that and now both 2.4 and 5Ghz wireless is working. Whether it stays working remains to be seen but that got it going.

Thank you for your help

--

Mick