Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi home monitoring

Carreracat
Tuning in

Hi All, newbie here. 
We have virgin broadband with a hub 3.0 router plus a net
gear nighthawk x6s WiFi booster. 
Is there anyway to monitor internet traffic on this system centrally?

many thanks in advice 

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Monitor in what sense?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Not with those no.

You’d need to get a better router that has traffic monitoring on it.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Carreracat wrote:

Any advice on which router is best for that?

I use this router which allows traffic monitoring (Statistic), at client/website level.

I'm sure there are others in the range that allow this.

Here is a demo.

Depends. I know ASUS ones offer it. Not sure if Netgear do in theirs. 

11 REPLIES 11

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Monitor in what sense?

Thanks for the reply. I’m looking to monitor what websites are visited. 

Not with those no.

You’d need to get a better router that has traffic monitoring on it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Carreracat wrote:

I use this router which allows traffic monitoring (Statistic), at client/website level.

I'm sure there are others in the range that allow this.

Here is a demo.

Depends. I know ASUS ones offer it. Not sure if Netgear do in theirs. 

Thanks both for your help, I will check our options.

A free alternative, rather than buying new hardware, would be to change the DNS settings on your router to issue OpenDNS's DNS servers.  If you register for an account with OpenDNS, you can choose what data you want to record..

it's not quite the same as just getting a list of what websites have been visited, as it will include every dns lookup, but it's a reasonable alternative if you don't have the hardware for it and want a free solution..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sophist wrote:

A free alternative, rather than buying new hardware, would be to change the DNS settings on your router to issue OpenDNS's DNS servers.  If you register for an account with OpenDNS, you can choose what data you want to record..

it's not quite the same as just getting a list of what websites have been visited, as it will include every dns lookup, but it's a reasonable alternative if you don't have the hardware for it and want a free solution..

The HUB range doesn't allow DNS changes.