Menu
Lise37
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

WiFi drop out

Hi 

I have been having issue for months with my WiFi dropping out throughout the day for no apparent reason.  I have contacted Virgin numerous times and no help whatsoever! I was told I required a new hub and this would fix the issue, got a new hub 3 issue hasn’t fixed.  It’s embarrassing as I work for the NHS and as a clinician I see people via video calls and the connection drops out!! I have tried all the fixes on the virgin page, I have re booted the hub numerous times, I have stopped all other devices using WiFi and only my laptop still didn’t do anything.  I am at the end of my tether with this as Virgin media are no help but still take £60 a month off me for sub standard service. 

not sure if anyone on here can help but thought I would try.  Virgin even advised I purchase their WiFi boosters even though the signal drops out no matter where I am in the house even if I’m sitting right beside the router on the floor!!!! I can’t use Ethernet cable due to placement of router access.  

Many thanks,

Lisa

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi drop out

If you’re getting good speed on a wired connection and poor wifi speed and range you would probably be better of investing in a decent third party router, that way you can put the Virgin Hub into modem mode and let the router deal with all the traffic. This would give you better wi-fi coverage and hopefully cure the drop out issues. There are loads of options from Asus, TP Link etc and seeing as the VM Hubs are well known for their lack of wi-fi capabilities you would be better of using your own equipment. I know it's a case of having to spend money that you shouldn't have to, but it really is worth it and gives you a better all round stable internet experience 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
0 Kudos
Lise37
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank for this I need to try something seem as Virgin are no help!! I also tried to access the hub settings to change bands for some devices however when I log in it says someone else is already logged into my settings which I find strange as it’s only me at home 🙈🙈 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You need to at least test with an ethernet cable to see if that also drops.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Lise37 wrote:

Thank for this I need to try something seem as Virgin are no help!! I also tried to access the hub settings to change bands for some devices however when I log in it says someone else is already logged into my settings which I find strange as it’s only me at home 🙈🙈 

Have you tried a full factory reset? Hold in the pinhole at the rear of the router for at least 50 seconds and then release (the lights will flash while holding in the pinhole reset button after about 10-15 seconds) then allow 5 minutes for the router to reboot and re-sync the connection.

Please ensure that your WiFi network password is still readable on the Hub sticker before you do this or that you at least have a copy of your original network password.

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
0 Kudos
Lise37
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have an it doesn’t it’s only when using WiFi it drops

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Then you need to change some settings and (try) and optimise the hubs (poor) wifi output.

Split the wifi bands, choose fixed channels for them, disable smart wifi..

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Community elder
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Try separating out the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and turn off smart WiFi.

That may help the WiFi issues! 

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Type  http://192.168.0.1  into your URL address bar on your browser and login into the Hub with your chosen password or use the settings password on the Hubs sticker on the bottom of the Hub and set up the Hub with a new password. Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Smart Wi-Fi and tick the disable “channel optimisation” box if available in your router settings and save settings.  Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Security and rename the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network SSID's.  Change them to whatever you like, for example JohnsVirgin_2 and JohnVirgin_5.  You can keep the same wi-fi passwords or use one of your choosing, then click apply settings and restart the Hub. Your two wi-fi networks will now be separated and you can select whichever network you want to connect too, for example the JohnsVirgin_2 (2Ghz) or JohnsVirgin_5 (5Ghz). The 2Ghz one has a greater range but has a slower speed and the 5Ghz one has less range but faster speeds. Be aware that some older devices will only see the 2.4Ghz SSID but most modern devices will come with 5Ghz capability.

Also please be aware that all your previously connected wireless devices will need to be connected again to your new SSID's with you new passwords or your old password if you decided to keep them 🙂

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Lise37 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear you're having issues with your WiFi.  Have you tried following the steps recommended by our fantastic community members?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos