Menu
RLapham
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

WiFi cutting out

My WiFi has been cutting out all throughout the day and night, I can hardly steam a 20 minute show without it cutting out halfway through.

Even when I’m watching live sports the picture gets all fuzzy each time the WiFi cuts out 

I had someone come out a few months back to change a few wires around, but the problem is still happening 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi cutting out

What is your connection like with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

if you remove all the internal walls, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from a VM Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is very poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
RLapham
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I don’t actually have any wires to connect my hub to a device, but I can tell you that it has gone down twice since I posted this question

Do you have any recommendations for third party equipment?

0 Kudos
badmanj
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have the same shoddy WiFi performance and am right on the verge of just quitting VM for good... however if a premium router is easy to set up and makes a massive difference I'd do that...

Can anyone recommend some hardware?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You really do need to check with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected, otherwise you won't know if it is a broadband supply problem or a local Wi-Fi problem.

If it is a broadband problem no amount of boosting will get better internet over Wi-Fi.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@badmanj wrote:

... snip ...

If you want assistance please start your own thread.

0 Kudos
badmanj
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Direct connection is, and always has been, superb. Just Wifi keeps cutting out...

Can you suggest a router? All I need to do is put the VM box in to modem mode and it then just connects to my own router instead, which in turn provides WiFi for the house - is this correct?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
badmanj
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was just asking for the same info that the original poster asked for. Wanted to indicate my interest too. Didn't really see much point in creating a new thread to ask the exact same thing... but I guess if that's the only way...

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Badmanj:- see my posts on this thread below and do some digging - then do your own thread if you need some help deciding what to do.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-0-and-Mesh-Wifi/td-p/4392650/page/2

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Only you can make that decision , you know ...

Your budget,

Your local environment,

Your requirements.

0 Kudos