cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi - 'Weak Security' on Apple Devices

Egon79
Joining in

So, I have a VM Superhub 2 that typically uses WPA2 security for WiFi. 

When I am at home and working from home (as I am today and as I do every Friday), there are typically at least 3 devices connected to the WiFi - my work laptop PC; my iMac and my iPhone. I have about 4 other Apple devices in the house which may be connected or not but I don't use them all at the same time.

For the last 3 weeks on a Friday - between the hours of 1pm and 3pm, something has happened to my WiFi which:

a. causes my laptop to lose connection and therefore throw me out of my work network via VPN and 

b. on my Apple devices, shows that the wifi is still working but has Weak Security. 

My work laptop won't connect at all to either the 2G or 5G and as mentioned, the Apple devices continue to work but report weak security. I am having to restart the hub and typically, after a minute or two, the security seems to be fine and everything connects without warning messages or errors.

Has anyone else come across this or can someone explain why this only seems to be happening on a Friday between the hours I've mentioned above?

Worth mentioning that on a couple of occasions I've been working from home on a random Monday or other days as well as Friday and it has never happened and I might be on an Apple device at any other time of the day/night at home and it's has never happened. It's just Friday's - just in the last 3 weeks and has only seemingly happened between 1pm and 3pm.

I'd like to understand why it happens and what I can do to prevent it because I have a web-based internet phone on my work laptop and I've been logged out of a call every single week so far because the WiFi decides not to be secure enough until I can get downstairs to reboot it.

53 REPLIES 53

Hi Heather, I was browsing here looking for the answer to my own weak security notification in my iPhone x regarding my home network, and changing the channel fixed my problem - - thanks!!

2Dinners
Joining in

I also have this problem with iPhones, however, when this happens it also stops other devices (non iOS) on WiFi to disconnect or have connection problems. The only option is to reset the router. This can happen several times a day. The iPhones are all kept up to date with the layers iOS. Any help would be much appreciated.

@2Dinners wrote:

I also have this problem with iPhones, however, when this happens it also stops other devices (non iOS) on WiFi to disconnect or have connection problems. The only option is to reset the router. This can happen several times a day. The iPhones are all kept up to date with the layers iOS. Any help would be much appreciated.

If it's a Superhub 2 that you have, then when the VM bods get to this thread (about 1 week), they'll likely send you a new Hub 3.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Yes, sorry should have said that it is with SH2. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully VM will help.

Ralph_R
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi 2Dinners,

I'll drop you a PM so we can look at organising a replacement Hub for you.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

vickyD
Joining in

Hi we have had this problem with week security on apple devices we have a hub 2 we all run the latest version or iOS for a long time. We have called virgin a few times and keep being told the hub is working fine and to keep resetting it. We follow all the instructions it works for a day or to then back to week security on 2g & 5g. Not once have we been offered a new hub. 

Please can VM help it’s so bad some times that we using mobile data.

Thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Its a well known issue on some aging SH2's. 2 options - get a Hub3 replacement or do as I and many others do and put it into modem mode and use your own router and wireless equipment - which will work much better.
Call in as a fault and in you are luck you might get an agent who knows about it and just send you a replacement. Or a VM person should pick this up and sort it for you - notwithstanding you have replied to a 6 month dormant thread !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Johnhighfield
Tuning in

I’ve had this issue with my Wi-fi, initially occasionally, and more recently several times an hour requiring dis-connection / reconnection of Apple devices & Amazon firestick & laptop loosing connection.

I followed a link in this, or similar, Community thread & was linked to a ‘free’ hub 3 upgrade. Which was great except for the email I received noting that my package has gone up £5 PCM and I was now tied into a years contract.

I have now spent over a day trying to contact VM on their messaging service. The first time after going through all the questions and being transferred to the correct agent I gave up after waiting 2 hours for a response; I tried the second time and again after going through the whole process again gave up after 2 hours of waiting. I finally tried a 3rd time - thinking that giving up after a 2 hour wait was ‘inpatient’ of me - went through the whole process again and left the response window open - which it was for over 10 hours with no response from the agent I had been transferred to.

I expect a hub3 tomorrow but refuse to be charged an extra £5 PCM to resolve a VM issue - I am not under army contract at the moment & don’t see why I should be obliged to accept a 1 year contract to resolve this service issue.

As I am unable to contact VM due to reduced service because of coved-19 I would be grateful if this issue can be forwarded.

Regards - 

Hub upgrades come as part of package upgrades.

You can of course cancel altogether. 

Its also not a service issue. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks Gary for your help but: 

The information on the link informed me that I qualified for a ‘free’ upgrade:- ‘so if you’ve got an older Hub as your main Hub, we’d like to swap my hub for our latest hub 3 for free  - No catches, no new contract’

Quotation from VM website informing me that I qualified - seems pretty explicit to me. I therefore cannot understand the confirmatory email stating a £5 PCM increase and a years contract. 

Regards