cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Promise - what a joke

Mervynhancock
Dialled in

VIRGIN PROMISE - WiFi in every room or free mesh pods or £100 off your bill!!

ACTUAL - Try to contact a VM customer services operator in another continent, be advised to change to the wonderful VOLT contract, get an O2 sim you dont need, then everything will be well.

VIRGIN - Sorry, you have to wait 30 days until the new contract takes effect, then contact a customer services operative in another continent, if you can, and if they believe your WiFi doesn't work in every room they might order ONE free mesh pod.

ACTUAL - two elderly customers, been with VM for 30 years, vctims of attempted burglary, advised to install CCTV cameras, discovered that the WiFi is too slow to operate them. Put onto the new super VOLT contract and told the Mesh pods were on order.

VIRGIN - Sorry customers, we don't believe you were misled by the operator, sorry your cameras dont work, wait for 30 days, then come back and we will see if we can supply Mesh pods.In the meantime we have emailed you FOUR marketing ads informing you of our Fabulous WiFi in every room guarantee.

PATHETIC!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TBH... the best solution to this is to forget VM for wifi and sort your own better quality solution to provide your Wifi and then everything will just work flawlessly.

See if the pods (eventually) work for you - but if you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4), (5) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.  Plenty of advice on choices will be given here

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TBH... the best solution to this is to forget VM for wifi and sort your own better quality solution to provide your Wifi and then everything will just work flawlessly.

See if the pods (eventually) work for you - but if you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4), (5) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.  Plenty of advice on choices will be given here

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

g0akc
Problem sorter

Despite what the marketing might imply the WiFi guarantee only applies if you have the WiFi Max product.  See here .

If you don't have a qualifying package (the 1gb etc.) there's a £8/month charge.  Getting an O2 SIM is likely better than paying that fee for most people. For instance - our O2 SIM is now £7/month (up from £6) and gets boosted from 6GB to 12GB of data.  At least one can put that in a handset and have an extra mobile to use.  

Then it's suggested that you use the Connect app to check speeds and order Pods.

I can see the 30 day wait is an obstacle.  I must admit that I wasn't aware of that clause.

I agree that getting your own mesh system or other better kit is likely the best way forward, particularly if you won't use that O2 SIM.  Use the VM hub in modem mode.

I do just that even though we would qualify for WiFi Max since we do have an O2 SIM and therefore Volt.   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

The 30 day wait is more than an obstacle, it is ridiculous. VM consistently sends emails boasting that their WiFi will reach every room in the house (mine is only a three bed, end of terrace) or they will provide mesh pods or give you £100 off your bill. With only 3mbs at my front and rear doors on the VM checker, I contacted VM and got put onto the Volt package. The O2 sim together with a bill arrived the following day, but no Mesh pods. I have now been told that it takes 30 days for the Volt contract to activate, then I have to apply for ONE pod which may or may not be free. I note that many other disgruntled VM customers have gone, or are still going, through the same process and are still getting crap WiFi after being told that the company has run out of pods. Because my wife and I are elderly, and were victims of an attempted burglary, a friend has loaned us a booster. In the meantime I have sent copies of the VM "WiFi in every room" literature to Trading Standards and the Ombudsman.

Hello Mervynhancock.

Thanks for your post. 
Sorry to hear about the issue with your WIFI coverage.
I can look into this for you. 
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the Logo top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L