cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Dropouts with new Pods

sirclive
Tuning in

Hi all,

I have had 2 Wifi pods with my SuperHub 3 for the last 2.5 months, and the whole family has noticed an increase in dropouts and difficulty in re-connecting to the internet. Specifically, the issues are:

• Wifi symbol is showing as connected on device (laptop or mobile), yet there is no internet. Often disconnecting and re-connecting solves this issue
  • Wifi SSID is bring broadcast, but not able to connect to the internet
  • Devices (such as Amazon echo) being booted off/not being able to connect

I used to have the Powerline adaptors which didn't cause these issues (but we did have dead spots). But since having the pods, our Wifi has got worse - and is unreliable. It has gotten so bad that my wife's phone defaulted to using 4G and racked data charges (and due to COVID we definitely haven't been roaming!).

My disconnecting one of the Pods (furthest from the router, but about 8m from the other pod), the stability has improved slightly, but it still has the same issues as mentioned above.

Any suggestions/thoughts? I have made sure that the right settings are enabled on the Superhub 3. Not sure if I have duff Pods, or something else is going on?

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to make sure the Pods can re-transmit the wifi signal from the Hub to each other.  So you may have them too far apart.  To be honest, unless these are free, you should invest in your own wifi solution and save a lot of heartache.  A decent Mesh system like the Deco M4 or similar would be a better bet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Adduxi,

I believe the Pods are close enough, because when they work, the speeds I am getting are reasonably fast at the top of the house (140-160mbps), compared to either no signal or 15-20mbps when the upstairs Pod is off. The distance between the two Pods is one floor in terms of height, and about 3-4 metres horizontally, with no solid walls in between (just plasterboard).

To your other point, the pods were free (I am an ultimate oomph customer), but was hoping to not invest if these work out...

Hi sirclive thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're having a poor WiFi experience and the pods are not helping.  I would like to take a closer look.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R