cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Achieving faster speeds than Ethernet!!

CasLad69
Joining in

WiFi 1140 to Router / 254 to laptop

Wired 1140 to Router / 130 to laptop

Any ideas what I can do to improve the wired connection ( CAT-8 Cable / USB-C Ethernet Adaptor )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What make/model of laptop is it? Has the network card defaulted to 100Mbps from 1GB (can happen)?

Then, boot the laptop into safe+networking mode and test again.

There may be some software running on it that is limiting speeds.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What make/model of laptop is it? Has the network card defaulted to 100Mbps from 1GB (can happen)?

Then, boot the laptop into safe+networking mode and test again.

There may be some software running on it that is limiting speeds.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Dell XPS 17 9710

USB-C Belkin Gigabit Ethernet Adaptor with Cat 8 Cable

Speed&Duplex set at 1.0Gbps Full Duplex

I'll give safe mode a try, thanks for the info.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Dell''s are also prone to run there own propriety QoS software called SmartByte - see in your settings if that is actively running - if it is switch it off and see what happens

--------------------
John
--------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One last thing you could try is a pin hole reset of the VM hub, it has been known to fix the odd problem.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

in SafeMode with Networking, speed jumped to 980Mbps!!! So, how can I track down the culprit ? Any ideas ??

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Reinstall windows without the crap

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
First check that SmartByte is deactivated. Is there anything else on your network running QoS - your own router or console etc?

Otherwise as I am all Macs - I will let others suggest how to sort it 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I'll go through the services and see what's running, it's a clean install, so shouldn't be any bloatware on there... thanks for the assist.