cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi constantly dropping off

Helenmat
On our wavelength

Hi I’m trying to get in touch with Virgin to ask if an engineer can come out and check my set up and the connection to the box outside. I am experiencing issues with my Wi-Fi signal dropping out several times a week. We have run tests and so have virgin and they say we are running too many devices. We had 8 things connected. So yesterday we turned everything off apart from one thing and it still dropped out. My SIL did a test and it showed there was a connection issue but virgin say it’s fine. How do I progress this. Apart from moving to BT?

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this...
Firstly... can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John

we are on a virgin hub 3. The tv is connected by Ethernet cable and that also drops connection occasionally too. The modem status does not alter, no lights flash but our devices say you are no longer connected to the internet and the Wi-Fi signal goes. Usually have to turn said device Wi-Fi off and on again and it usually reconnects ok after. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Mmmm... a network disconnection is usually accompanied by a flashing Hub3 base light... you say not... but the TV drops - that's odd. Can you confirm that it does by having a computer/laptop connected on ethernet at the same time.

In the meantime can you do this...

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. On the first page up dont login (unless you have the Hub4/5 - when you do login) just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3/4) or top/right (SH’s) of the Login page and then Navigate to these “pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi you lost me on the second paragraph I’m afraid. But my son in law did that test yesterday and it said “your home network has a few problems” red triangle for telephone service and Wi-Fi connections

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you cant post the Hub data then you will need to wait here for a day or two until a VM person picks this up

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks I just want to get an engineer out to check it. Will wait thanks 

Hi there @Helenmat 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues with your services! 

Can I ask if you are able to post your Hub stats as @jbrennand has suggested? 

How to do this;
• Please go to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode),
• Don't log in, click on 'router status'
• Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs as text into a 'REPLY' as opposed to 'QUICK REPLY'. Please do not include your MAC address.

Thank you.