cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my 5ghz connection fine but nothing will connect to my 2ghz

jameskitching86
Joining in

I am having an issue so I have 2 bands setup for my wifi 2g and 5g, I have just had some equiment added to the garage and I have 1tp link in there with a hardwire between the tp link and the device I have put in my garage, I can still see the 2g wifi available bu when I try to connect i get connection failed 

Can anyone help????? 

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is the TP-Link model?  Do you have the wifi split on this device?  Are the passwords and SSID the same on this TP-Link and the VM Hub?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi there the model is TL-WA850RE, 

Not sure regarding the wifi split it was orgianlly used as a wifi extender so WPS to my router all I did was plug it into the garage with an ethernet to my home battery controller 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That is an old model and only uses 2.4Ghz band and is 10/100 Ethernet as well. 
You might have to reset it and pair the 2.4Ghz band again. The lights on the front will show if it can maintain a WiFi link with your VM Hub. 
On that Model your 2.4Ghz band will show as VMxxxxx_EXT as far as I remember. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jameskitching86 thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised regarding the 2.4ghz connection failing. 

You have mentioned your TP Link device, do you mean the 2.4ghz on this or your Virgin Media Hub?

We do not support third party devices unfortunately so please clarify either way. 

Many thanks

Tom_W