cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Cloudflare OpenDNS and Google DNS are not responding?

amikot
Tuning in

For speed and safety reasons I use Cisco OpenDNS servers (208.67. 222.222 and 208.67. 220.220) - today I couldn't enter any website, and after small investigation I found that OpenDNS servers are not responding.
I did try also other services: google DNSes (8.8.8.8 and 8.4.4.8) and Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1)
All of them seems to be down or blocked.
Only currently working DNS servers are default Virgine Media ones.
I feel uncomfortable with this to be honest. If Virgin is blocking other DNS providers, we can't decide which to use. Some third party DNS servers are much better and trustworthy than ISP ones.
I'm really confused what is the reason/purpose of that.

9 REPLIES 9

pbraithwaite1
Tuning in

Are you using a VPN service or proxy? Both Google and OpenDNS work for me via my Virgin connection. It would be very odd for an ISP to block the two most used DNS providers.

Edit: If you want more control and visibility over your DNS, check out Pi-Hole DNS. 

sremey
On our wavelength

You don't mention which area you're in, but there are issues in North London as detailed here

The VM incident number is F008178878 in case you want to track it or escalate it.

I'm definitely out of these areas - I'm between Guildford and Basingstoke.
Apart of that in post that you linked person has problems with all network. I see only problems when using third party DNS services.
On default Virgin DNS all seems to be OK.

I'm not using any VPN. 

I will do more test soon so if problem won't disappear in meantime, I will provide more data.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Have you bench marked your dns speeds?

The virgin dns servers always come out faster for me. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Nothing bets 0ms cached but for uncached lookups 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 do well.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jaxxchris
On our wavelength

@Amikot

did you ever gat a sensible response for this?

i'm using cloudlfared for dns over http and see constant drops for lookups to their dns on 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1.

I'm between Guildford and Basingstoke too.

Run grc DNSBench with just your DNS settings it will report any unresolved lookups
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------

No, actually no.

Thanks for that, but for me speed is not on first place.
It is important, but not over security so I use only DNS servers that supports DNSSEC and DNS-over-TLS.