cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the function of the wide part of the self install cable?

scraggins-ahead
Tuning in

Hi all. What is inside the self install cable? It's crap and falls off every other day. I want to fit screwed RG6 but just unsure if it'll work that way or does it need a suppressor or something else fitting to my plain RG6? 

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@scraggins-ahead wrote:

Hi all. What is inside the self install cable? It's crap and falls off every other day. I want to fit screwed RG6 but just unsure if it'll work that way or does it need a suppressor or something else fitting to my plain RG6? 

The 'Quick Start' cable contains an isolator (the bit in the white plastic tube part). Older installations had an isolator within the wall box.

The push fit cable should remain connected. Look inside the end of the push fit connector to see if the sprung prongs inside are damaged. The push fit connector should push all the way on to the threaded socket at the wall box. Have you got it pushed on far enough?

If you have a faulty cable supplied by VM, call it in as a fault and get a VM tech visit to replace it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot use your own cable. It’s against the T&C and can introduce noise into the circuit that would not only affect you, but everyone one the same street box.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

IMG-20230323-WA0003.jpg

 so this is whats inside my wall box. So I can chuck the self install cable away. The cable I have is from the previous install issued by virgin media before I moved into the property. Are you saying I can't recommission that? Sounds bizarre to me

If you've got a premade virgin cable then yes, unplug the quickstart cable and screw the other cable into the isolator.

Thanks for the explanations gentleman. Much appreciated 👍