Menu
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: What happened with Wi-Fi 5g ??

The reason for disconnecting the ethernet cables is so that when the Hub is going through the 'handshake' on the connection it isn't being overloaded with things trying to connect to the internet.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3, Hub 4 is similar.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name [SSID] > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name [SSID] > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub then reboot using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your Wi-Fi again.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Andy-B
Joining in
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Whilst delving into the Router I have accessed the Advanced Settings and looking in Security there is a difference in service name between the 2G and 5G services in that the 5G suffix (i.e. it was 'network name' -5G) to the service name has disappeared.

Checking the 5G service (less its previous suffix) and this service is in the list of available wi-fi services .. very strange.  I have had to type in the wi-fi password, but I have been able to connect to this 5G service and upon re-cycling the Security section I can see/verify that my Smart phone is indeed connected to the 5G service.

I don't know how this has happened.  I definitely haven't been into the Router to change the name, so maybe Virgin have .. pass !

Many thanks to all that have helped .. looks like I'm back in business 🙂

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Good to hear it's pretty much resolved.

It's better to use the terms SSID or network name - I wasn't sure what you meant by 'service'.

Many devices, particularly Apple, don't differentiate between the Wi-Fi bands unless you have different SIDEs for them.

best not to use 2G and 5G either as they have a different meaning in mobile comms.

you might want to tidy thing's up as suggested to avoid confusion in the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos