Menu
Andy-B
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What happened with Wi-Fi 5g ??

Hello,

My Virgin Hub 3 router used to provide me with a 2g and a 5g signal, but recently, the 5g service has disappeared and is no longer shown as a service option.

Why is this ?

[I have tried to contact Virgin so-called Customer Support, but that is now an impossibility.]

Tks,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: What happened with Wi-Fi 5g ??

@Andy-B wrote:

Hello,

My Virgin Hub 3 router used to provide me with a 2g and a 5g signal, but recently, the 5g service has disappeared and is no longer shown as a service option.

Why is this ?

[I have tried to contact Virgin so-called Customer Support, but that is now an impossibility.]

Tks,

Take a look at the Wireless status and the settings in the Hub - has 5GHz been disabled?  If so, enable it.

A simpler option might be to reboot/reset the hub in the first instance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
Andy-B
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi .. thanks for your input on this.
I have just logged onto the router and checked this.
Both the 2 and 5 GHz options are set as enabled.
BUT I am not getting a 5 GHz service to select on any of my Smart devices ??
Any thing else I can check .. I should say the Router has been re-booted several times in the last few weeks .. the 5 GHz service wasn't available before or after. Tks
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It may be a good idea to carry out a factory reset on the Hub …

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once the lights are stabilised check your system again.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure how you device(s) show you the 5Ghz or 2.4GHz option (many devices don't differentiate in their menus).

Try giving the 5GHz a different SSID (network name) - e.g. add a 5 to the end of the name

This is under Advanced settings/wireless/security

Do you see the new 5GHz network name in the list of Wi-Fi signals on your device?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
gooshy
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

A lot of Smart devices don't spport 5GHz, check on your phone, laptop, desktop to see if both networks are visible.

My Broadband Ping - Home
Andy-B
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi

When you say disconnect all 'unneeded' Ethernet cables from the router .. is it best to remove them all ?

I assume I need to reset the router and let it come back on line fully before connecting any Ethernet cables ?

Tks,

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Andy-B wrote:

Hi

When you say disconnect all 'unneeded' Ethernet cables from the router .. is it best to remove them all ?

I assume I need to reset the router and let it come back on line fully before connecting any Ethernet cables ?

Tks,

Probably best to - I don't always bother if it's going to be hassle to do so.

Andy-B
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

From installation, we had 2G and 5G as available wi-fi services and our Smart devices (phones and iPads) all used to connect to both of them. 5G for when close to the router and 2G for when further away.
Situation now is that whilst the Router itself is showing 5G to be enabled as a wi-fi service, this is not presenting itself on our Smart devices as an available option whereas the 2G service is.
0 Kudos
Andy-B
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If my memory serves me correctly, when you used to be able to get thru to Virgin on the phone, one of their service engineers did this for me.

0 Kudos