cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin's connect app not functional

NetworkingPro
Tuning in

Virgin's connect app is suppose to automatically connect you to local hotspots, mine does not. My friends on iOS, and his iPhone connects automatically to almost all of my local hotspots, the same ones my phone just will not connect to. 

Im not an amateur so of course I've setup the connect app properly, signed into the correct account and selected yes when I've had the system notification asking if I grant permission for virgin connect to automatically connect to WiFi. 

Ive also tried manually connecting to virgins  hotspots using my email and password but it needs a domain to sign in and hasn't worked or connected me so far. 

Im in other forums with others who have had the same problem for months. 

6 REPLIES 6

jhuk
Trouble shooter

What HUB do you have?

Hub 3, I have opted into the service via settings but those settings do specify that you'll still be able to use the service, even if you've opted out. 

HI NetworkingPro,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble connecting to other VM Hotspots.

Can I just check that you have enabled the app within your handset settings? You'll need to have it both enabled within the app and your handset for it to work.

Can you also please confirm what model handset you have, and if you have another device you can test the app from to see if you're having similar issues?

Thanks

Beth

I've clarified I've set it up properly, it's a OnePlus 7t.

Your problem is the version of Android.

The connect app is a badly thought out piece of software that does not support Android 11/12. Virgin know it does not work for the past 12 years and have done nothing to fix it.

In truth I think this is because Android has been locked down tighter, VM do not support modern enterprise encryption/authentication enforced by Android. 

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

@Timwilky wrote:

Your problem is the version of Android.

The connect app is a badly thought out piece of software that does not support Android 11/12. Virgin know it does not work for the past 12 years and have done nothing to fix it.

In truth I think this is because Android has been locked down tighter, VM do not support modern enterprise encryption/authentication enforced by Android. 

I think I've seen you in other forums on this topic, I can definitely see where you're coming from and its interesting to know this is likely an android comparability problem. 

Clearly the app lacks the attention and updates it deserves. 

Virgin should release their app open source and let us fix it ourselves.