cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media connect app - Can't enable wifi hotspots

tuckova
Joining in

I'm a Virgin Mobile customer and I'm trying to enable hotspot access on my Pixel 4a via the Virgin Media connect app and it's failing every time I click on the "Get set for wifi hotspots" after a short period of time with "no server response" despite a strong wifi and 4g data connection as per the screenshots below.

account.jpg  connect.jpg  error.jpg 

I've followed all the advice I can find like:

• Confirming the hotspot account status and that it is retrieving all my other account details correctly
  • Checking for existing saved wifi networks and removing them (there aren't any as it's a new phone)
  • Confirmed that the app has the required permissions
  • Deleting the app cache/data and reinstalling the app
  • Tried activating at multiple time across various days in case it's an issue at the server end

Is there anything else I can try or does the application simply not work on android 11? (note: I've recently installed the app on an android 8 device with a different sim card and that worked fine).

160 REPLIES 160

Are the Forum team deliberately trying to annoy the community on this topic? You should be personally and professionally embarrassed by these limp and content-free answers. What's the problem? Is there an available solution or simply none for the foreseeable future? When's it going to be fixed? If VM has decided not to support Android, then tell us. We deserve some honesty after being fobbed off on this topic for many many months. 

Completely agree. Virgin are now deciding not to support nearly a third of all Android phones, and this number is going to keep rising.

All the while everywhere but here they are pretending there's no problems with the app at all...

I have to agree with dbrjrievcdhdkeb - you really need to supply some meaningful information not just the standard "our dev team are aware of the issue". They've been aware of this for over 8 months and we've now moved from Android 11 to 12.

cje85
Trouble shooter

My understanding is it's no longer possible for an app to install WiFi profiles on Android 11/12. That's why other providers are now telling Android users how to manually connect to the networks. (Such as: Got an Android 11? You'll need to configure your WiFi settings manually. Here's how)

Of course VM should also be doing that, not pretending they're trying to fix something that can't be fixed. 

Hello cje85

Thanks for the post

I have gone away and asked for some clarification about this issue 

As soon as I have any more information about this, I will pop back on here and update you 

Gareth_L

This is a screen shot of a question on a VM survey that was just sent to me. This is insulting. What the #### is VM playing at??

Screenshot_20211123-224943.png

HandyHat
On our wavelength

Another 3 months have passed, and we are still having to chase this up. Is there really still no update on this?

Hello Gareth_L

Do you have any news for us?

You went for clarification on this issue, what did your technical team say?

What are the setting that we need to use, per the link sent to you by cje85

At present, devices running Android 11 and 12 aren't able to use the Connect App's out of home Wi-Fi service (or hotspots) the development team are aware of this and working on a fix for this in a future update. 

Rob

HandyHat
On our wavelength

This was the same information that was said over 7 months ago. Has there seriously been no change from the development team in over 7 months?
You are now deciding not to support over 56% of Android phones in the UK, without saying so on any official marketing material. Surely at this point this is false advertising?