cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media connect app - Can't enable wifi hotspots

tuckova
Joining in

I'm a Virgin Mobile customer and I'm trying to enable hotspot access on my Pixel 4a via the Virgin Media connect app and it's failing every time I click on the "Get set for wifi hotspots" after a short period of time with "no server response" despite a strong wifi and 4g data connection as per the screenshots below.

account.jpg  connect.jpg  error.jpg 

I've followed all the advice I can find like:

• Confirming the hotspot account status and that it is retrieving all my other account details correctly
  • Checking for existing saved wifi networks and removing them (there aren't any as it's a new phone)
  • Confirmed that the app has the required permissions
  • Deleting the app cache/data and reinstalling the app
  • Tried activating at multiple time across various days in case it's an issue at the server end

Is there anything else I can try or does the application simply not work on android 11? (note: I've recently installed the app on an android 8 device with a different sim card and that worked fine).

160 REPLIES 160

Hi @dbrjrievcdhdkeb

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

I understand the delay must be frustrating for you, I'm sorry.

Just to confirm, we have identified an on going issue with the current version of the Virgin Media Connect app when used on an Android 11 device. Unfortunately the app is currently unable to configure the device for our out of home hotspot service.

We’re working on an update to the Connect app to fix this issue, please stay tuned for more information. Apologies for the frustration caused.

Best wishes,

Serena

Thanks for the reply, Serena,

Yes, we've identified an issue too. The app doesn't work with Android 11 which was first issued to developers in February 2020.

If you've identified the cause and you're working on a fix, you must have a project manager. Are customers allowed to know if the expected/likely finish date for the fix is in Autumn or Winter 2021... or 2022?

I need to make a decision on a contract renewal and I'm sure other customers do too. 

Thank you,

Duncan

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi dbrjrievcdhdkeb, 

Thanks for your reply, we are not project managers. We have no update on this.

Are you able to try on another device?

Zoie

Hello Zoie,

No, I don't have another phone running Android 10 just lying around, and why would I want to start using an older version of Android just because VM can't get their kit to work with Android 11?

And no, I don't intend to buy an iPhone and move my entire electronic life from Google to Apple just so I can use VM's hotspots.

That's why I'm messaging you to find out information about the Android 11 upgrade to the Connect app (or associated hub security upgrades).

I'm aware you are personally not the project manager of the upgrade. But are you seriously telling me VM doesn't have a project manager in charge of the upgrade who knows when it's scheduled to be fixed? I find that hard to believe. Or horrifying if true.

Anyway, on reflection, it's clear that you were actually trolling me with your message, rather than providing helpful information or advice, so I give up and will move ISP at the earliest opportunity. Thank you making my decision easier.

Hi dbrjrievcdhdkeb, 

We're really sorry to hear that you feel this way. That would not have been Zoie's intention at all. 

The app developers are working on a number of things and are aware of the issues they are facing with Android 11 users however there is no information we can give you regarding this I'm afraid. 

The issues will be resolved as and when they can be. If of course we hear any information, we'll be sure to let you know. 

Due to the dissatisfaction expressed, if you would like me to raise this as a complaint for you, I can. Whilst there is no resolution we can offer at this stage, it will be noted on your account. If you want me to do this, please reply to my private message. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Apologies once again. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F why are you so quick to want to raise a complaint rather than actually find out when it's going to be resolved? Is that because it's less work to raise the complaint?

I would suggest that not having your app work with the latest version of the most widely used mobile operating system should be the number one priority to fix. 

Not like you've currently had 8 months so far to do so. What does that say about your developers?

I have also been following this post. I have a Note 20 and have this problem. They boast about their app but can't get it to work. 

@dbrjrievcdhdkeb I'm not sure why the Virgin staff aren't referring to this, but according to @Steven_L earlier in this thread the estimated date for this to be fixed is the 31st of August

Thank you, I'd not seen the Aug 31st date earlier in the thread. That's all I wanted to know - roughly how long we have to wait for a fix. Summer 2021 not 2022. Hurrah. Thanks!

HandyHat
On our wavelength

Hey there,

Is there an update on this?