cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media connect app - Can't enable wifi hotspots

tuckova
Joining in

I'm a Virgin Mobile customer and I'm trying to enable hotspot access on my Pixel 4a via the Virgin Media connect app and it's failing every time I click on the "Get set for wifi hotspots" after a short period of time with "no server response" despite a strong wifi and 4g data connection as per the screenshots below.

account.jpg  connect.jpg  error.jpg 

I've followed all the advice I can find like:

• Confirming the hotspot account status and that it is retrieving all my other account details correctly
  • Checking for existing saved wifi networks and removing them (there aren't any as it's a new phone)
  • Confirmed that the app has the required permissions
  • Deleting the app cache/data and reinstalling the app
  • Tried activating at multiple time across various days in case it's an issue at the server end

Is there anything else I can try or does the application simply not work on android 11? (note: I've recently installed the app on an android 8 device with a different sim card and that worked fine).

160 REPLIES 160

Hi HandyHat,

Thanks for your reply, we understand your frustration with this and do apologise that the timeframe is not ideal in this situation.

Our IT team will be working hard to get it updated and resolved as soon as possible. 

Thank you for your continued patience whilst they work through this.

Thanks,

Megan_L

@Steven_L yes I'm a mobile and broadband customer 

Hey @marty3 and thanks for coming back to me,

Please can you send me a private message with the below information and we can get this looked into further for you by our support team

Full name and account number

Are you a media and mobile customer of ours?

Device - make and model 

Connect app version

Ios/Android version

confirm WiFi connectivity

Any error messages that you may be getting ? 

Does this happen with numerous hotspots or same or particular one? Please be specific as possible with the location of the ​hotspot a street location or if it is on the London underground , if so which station.

What they have you tried so far to resolve the issues such as rebooting device, disconnect all networks and rejoined, also uninstalling and re-installing the app

Please provide a screenshot of the "App Settings > App Information > About" screen, our support team have asked for a screenshot of this to enable them to do full checks on the problems that you're having.

Regards

Steven_L

Exactly the same issue here.  Pixel 4.  Android 11.  Won't connect to any hotspots even though I'm right on top of the hotspot (can see "Virgin Media" as an available wifi network with full signal).

Connect App version is 12.13.18.2

@Steven_L I've sent you a PM with my details as requested earlier in this thread.

Hey @robinsonpr,

We have had an update from the team regarding this.

The issue is now been worked on by our app developers and connection providers to provide a resolution to this, we have been given an estimated time for this to be completed, which is 31st August, we are hopeful this will be done but we cannot guarantee that this will be resolved as the time is only an estimate at the moment. 

Regards,

Steven_L

@Steven_L thanks for the update!

Jarric
On our wavelength

I've been following this thread closely to see if it would go anywhere, as I've been having this problem for months ever since the Android 11 update on my phone.

I'm glad that it sounds like we're getting somewhere, but it does feel like a bit of a joke that this is /estimated/ to be fixed for Android 11 by the end of August, when Android 12 it likely to be released September or October. It feels like this issue hasn't been taken very seriously, despite the fact that presumably the majority of Virgin customers aren't getting one of the services that they pay for.

Hi @Jarric

Thanks for your input on this issue and I can assure you that the team are taking this seriously as its part of our service that our customers aren't getting.

This part of the service is an added extra and free of charge but that isn't the point, we should still be providing this service right now and we apologise that we aren't able to do this.

I can assure you that the team are working hard to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Steven_L

Wow this issue has been going on for 8 months and the best resolution VM can give is to wait another 8 weeks to get this resolved. Doesn't seem like your dev team is "working really hard to resolve the issue" at all.

Pull your finger out.

Please can we have an update? A customer service email to all users telling them what's going on? The continued delay is infuriating.

Btw, to be told the hotspots are free and are not part of the paid service provided under contract by Virgin Media is massively missing the point. This is a part of the service that is offered by Virgin Media and its competitors. It is something customers want and will use when deciding whether to remain loyal or move to a competitor.