cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media's mesh system for M600

Dasco
On our wavelength

I have the standard wifi extenders that you could get from Virgin for ages but they have never really worked very well.
When I had my 360 box and two 360 minis fitted last year I asked the engineer about fitting a mesh system as the extenders just don't work reliably he said to wait till now and phone and ask for the mesh system.
I am on the Ultimate Oomph bundle and have been since it came out.

My wife is a teacher and is now teaching via live video link to her class in their homes and with both my kids using the live video teaching from their schools the wifi just can't handle it, which is not great for my kids but is terrible for my wife as she is trying to teach 35 kids at home everyday.
So i've tried to call Virgin today to try get the pods sent out to me but I just get no lines available, is there anyway one of Virgin Media staff can contact me so I can get these ordered and hopefully fix the wifi or at least make it more stable.
Many thanks

50 REPLIES 50

Hi Dasco

Can i ask, are you connecting the 2 units using WIFI mesh or Ethernet. ?

@happytre3frendz wrote:
Hi Dasco

Can i ask, are you connecting the 2 units using WIFI mesh or Ethernet. ?

I have mine connected by Ethernet but only because the cable was there. I did use the dedicated 2nd 5Ghz backhaul channel but this can be configured as a third SSID.
So you could have
SSID 2.4Ghz @574Mbps
SSID 5Ghz @1201Mbps
SSID 5Ghz @4804Mbps. Normally used for backhaul.
So it is far faster then Virgins present top speeds so you are future proofing yourself.

So assuming you use the 5ghz mesh method.

How far do do you think you can be from the node and get signal if the node is getting good signal from the primary router.?

Each node will cover 255m2 so about 16m. Two nodes cover about 550m2 so for something 25m away you would need a node about half way.

From my post earlier in this thread

I am getting over 500 Mbps on 5G signal and over 300 on 2.4G signal at furthest point in the house.
Just been down the bottom of the garden and got over 300Mbps on the 5G and over 80Mbps on 2.4G which must be nearly 30 meters from the new router, but I think i'm going to move the node upstairs closer to rear of the house so signal should increase a little more.
I know this kit is expensive but it works and its wifi6 so should be good for few years yet.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Dont forget any wifi or Mesh wifi signal is dependent on the construction of your property and not just its acreage.

If you have walls made of foot thick stone, or iron rich Victorian redbrick, or lined with insulation foil or surrounded by steel RSJ's, etc., then the signal will not get very far.... compared to the paper maché walls of modern properties.

And that's not counting external interference outwith your control.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Dasco
On our wavelength

@jbrennand wrote:
Dont forget any wifi or Mesh wifi signal is dependent on the construction of your property and not just its acreage.

If you have walls made of foot thick stone, or iron rich Victorian redbrick, or lined with insulation foil or surrounded by steel RSJ's, etc., then the signal will not get very far.... compared to the paper maché walls of modern properties.

And that's not counting external interference outwith your control.

My house was built in 1945 signal goes through two walls.

Hi
Ok thanks for the info. Torn between this or the orbi 3 pack mesh system

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dasco wrote:

My house was built in 1945 signal goes through two walls.

Mine too, nice soft Cheshire red brick.  However, my mate's 1898 Semi is built of finest quality "hard" Accrington red brick (same a New York Harbour) which is iron rich and hence is a "Faraday cage".  VM installer took over an hour to drill through on install and broke the first drill bit 😂

After the install the Hub wifi signal barely left the room the Hub was in.  I advised him to get a TP-Link Deco M5 mesh system and "strategically place" the other units in "open areas (hall landing, etc) he did that and all connectivity has been fine ever since.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

HI Dasco

Any issues with your set up till to this date? I see many reviews on the system having to reboot itself or something like that. .

For my sister-in law. I plan to set the main hub in the front of the house. The second node will be placed approx 12 metres into the kitchen area using 5ghz backhaul. 

The question would be, will the reception go another 20metres where she has her nursery based. So the nursery will be around 20 meters from the node.

@happytre3frendz wrote:

HI Dasco

Any issues with your set up till to this date? I see many reviews on the system having to reboot itself or something like that. .

For my sister-in law. I plan to set the main hub in the front of the house. The second node will be placed approx 12 metres into the kitchen area using 5ghz backhaul. 

The question would be, will the reception go another 20metres where she has her nursery based. So the nursery will be around 20 meters from the node.

Its worked perfectly since I fitted it. I can't say for sure that it will work you could try it and if you won't work return it, I got mine through Amazon, you can return stuff on there if it don't perform as expected.