Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media internet of late

A few weeks back we had that nationwide outage, where the internet would go down for a couple of minutes, yesterday around 2.30pm I lost internet, for about 5 minutes or so.

Is it just me or has VM been very unstable this last month.

The outage I got yesterday, I'm 99.9% it wasn't just me as I checked out down service websites and could see a spike at the same time and reports in similar area to me.

In general VM has been rock solid for years for me but lately it seems a little unstable.

Wonder what's causing this, is it just the high demand due to covid19 and the network can't always cope?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media internet of late

all ISP have been unstable. That what happens when 100% of the UK are stuck at home.
ISP network are not designed to run at 100% all the time. As users dom another things you get what is called contention so you might have 100 people sharing a 1gbps of bandwidth. so if they all try and use it at once they only get 10mbps each

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I know demand is higher at present, but I thought ISPs said they could cope with the higher demand.

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Where was that stated? Source?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've heard VM staff say they can't 🙂

I work in networking and I've seen networks under stress. I'm lucky though i work with networks on lease lines so the stress is off out network 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How do you quote a message on here!

Anyway the source for ISP saying they can cope, I haven't got one, I just saw it mentioned somewhere when the Netflix and all the other streaming services lowered the bitrates, I believe it was mentioned ISP's said there is no issue meeting demand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Click "reply" - not quick reply.  Then click the 3 dots icon on the right of the toolbar and it will expand to show the  "  quote icon - click that.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Actually here you go from VM themselves, bottom of message clearly says they can meet higher demand and are not at capacity.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/blogs/covid-19-keeping-you-connected
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There we go then.

Question answered 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Over all that article you've quoted is almost definitely correct. Virgin Media have some seriously chunky backbones for their internet access, and will have capacity. The same cannot be said for every location at local level, where maybe low take up or use has meant that additional capacity has never been added and therefore may experience issues with the increased demand under the current circumstances. Older areas of the estate I'm on, with equipment that isn't as up-to-date as the part of the network we're on definitely see issues that are completely invisible to us.
0 Kudos