Menu
p3tzz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media SH3 and Unifi AP

Hi, if I turned off my VM SH3 wifi and connected 2 Unifi AP to the router, would they both need to be powered by ethernet and will I still have all the security features of the VM SH3. Main issue currently is getting wifi all over the house.

Also I have been looking into Unifi USG and connecting the AP upto this. Is this the better option?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media SH3 and Unifi AP

@p3tzz wrote:

Hi, if I turned off my VM SH3 wifi and connected 2 Unifi AP to the router, would they both need to be powered by ethernet and will I still have all the security features of the VM SH3. Main issue currently is getting wifi all over the house.

You will need to use POE injectors to deliver power, but yes, it will work fine and the hub will still provide the gateway services that it provides today (NAT, DHCP, Firewall etc..)

@p3tzz wrote:

Also I have been looking into Unifi USG and connecting the AP upto this. Is this the better option?

Vastly better option. though be mindful that if you plan to use any of the "richer" features of the USG (such as IPS/IDS) then you should expect throughput  of around 250mb max.

0 Kudos