Menu
Reply
sriramvs
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
195 Views
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Hub 3 intermittently losing 5Ghz WiFi connection

@gary_dexter,

thanks, but this is not my first time using an ISP.

I never had problems with my previous provider. I used separate SSID with their device as well. I have not added or removed devices from the network. I live in a detached house and I can't even see my neighbour's wifi signal unless I stand near the fence outside.

I have tried fixing the wifi channel before contacting Virgin support. It did not help.

All these problems started when I switched to Virgin in March. The only reason I moved providers is the availability of higher speeds to support multiple devices connecting at the same time.

If Virgin cant provide a quality service then I don't see any reason why I should continue their service.
Also, I don't want to spend any more money on additional devices and clutter my living room. Virgin engineer already messed up my living area by not following instructions on where to install the connection. I am already super mad about that.
0 Kudos
Reply
gary_dexter
  • 31.34K
  • 1.94K
  • 4.22K
Alessandro Volta
192 Views
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Hub 3 intermittently losing 5Ghz WiFi connection


@sriramvs wrote:
@gary_dexter,

thanks, but this is not my first time using an ISP.

I never had problems with my previous provider. I used separate SSID with their device as well. I have not added or removed devices from the network. I live in a detached house and I can't even see my neighbour's wifi signal unless I stand near the fence outside.

I have tried fixing the wifi channel before contacting Virgin support. It did not help.

All these problems started when I switched to Virgin in March. The only reason I moved providers is the availability of higher speeds to support multiple devices connecting at the same time.

If Virgin cant provide a quality service then I don't see any reason why I should continue their service.
Also, I don't want to spend any more money on additional devices and clutter my living room. Virgin engineer already messed up my living area by not following instructions on where to install the connection. I am already super mad about that.

Virgin sell a cable service - they, like all other ISP's, do not guarantee wifi speeds and connectivity.

You also can't compare ISP equipment since they are made differently with different specs by different manufacturers etc.

Have you checked with a wired connection that it's not the connection dropping as a whole?


*****
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Reply
sriramvs
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
191 Views
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Hub 3 intermittently losing 5Ghz WiFi connection


@gary_dexter wrote:

Use a Wifi analyser app to look for overlapping channels.

Use a wired connection for stability.

Residential services are not meant for business use - if you need 100% uptime get a backup DSL line and/or a 4G/5G router.


There are no other wifi signals around. My old Hub and the new one is staying consistently on Channel 40. I even disabled wifi direct on all laptops, streaming devices and on TV. There should not be any congestion from outside.

I cant even stream netflix consistently without turning the TV ON/OFF every 10-15 minutes for the wifi to reconnect. This is very frustrating when you try to relax after a days work.

No one is answering the bigger question - why is this a problem only with Virgin. Do they have poor quality service with inferior Hubs that is forcing me to invest on more expensive equipment to get something I used to have for free with a previous provider?

If it is the inferior equipment, then the easiest step to do is move back to my old provider. Like I said I don't want to jump through hoops to stay with Virgin. That is not my priority. Hope you understand that first.

 

0 Kudos
Reply
sriramvs
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
189 Views
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Hub 3 intermittently losing 5Ghz WiFi connection


@gary_dexter wrote:

@sriramvs wrote:
@gary_dexter,

thanks, but this is not my first time using an ISP.

I never had problems with my previous provider. I used separate SSID with their device as well. I have not added or removed devices from the network. I live in a detached house and I can't even see my neighbour's wifi signal unless I stand near the fence outside.

I have tried fixing the wifi channel before contacting Virgin support. It did not help.

All these problems started when I switched to Virgin in March. The only reason I moved providers is the availability of higher speeds to support multiple devices connecting at the same time.

If Virgin cant provide a quality service then I don't see any reason why I should continue their service.
Also, I don't want to spend any more money on additional devices and clutter my living room. Virgin engineer already messed up my living area by not following instructions on where to install the connection. I am already super mad about that.

Virgin sell a cable service - they, like all other ISP's, do not guarantee wifi speeds and connectivity.

You also can't compare ISP equipment since they are made differently with different specs by different manufacturers etc.

Have you checked with a wired connection that it's not the connection dropping as a whole?


---

2.4Ghz is working fine. It is just the 5Ghz that's dropping connection. I guess wired will work.

But, I don't want to modify my house just because of some inferior equipment provided by Virgin.

0 Kudos
Reply
gary_dexter
  • 31.34K
  • 1.94K
  • 4.22K
Alessandro Volta
187 Views
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Hub 3 intermittently losing 5Ghz WiFi connection

Yes - the hubs wifi output is poor.

All ISP equipment is inferior compared to getting a better Router or Mesh System - what you think is "good" is still actually very, very poor in comparison to the above.

*****
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Reply
sriramvs
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
181 Views
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Hub 3 intermittently losing 5Ghz WiFi connection

I'll accept this if a Virgin employee can confirm that their equipment quality is inferior (not according to their Hub 3 product page!).

I can then go back to my old service provider. Never had a single issue in the last 6 years I was with them.

0 Kudos
Reply
gary_dexter
  • 31.34K
  • 1.94K
  • 4.22K
Alessandro Volta
178 Views
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Hub 3 intermittently losing 5Ghz WiFi connection


@sriramvs wrote:

I'll accept this if a Virgin employee can confirm that their equipment quality is inferior (not according to their Hub 3 product page!).

I can then go back to my old service provider. Never had a single issue in the last 6 years I was with them.


You won't get a VM rep admit on a public forum (or elsewhere) that their equipment isn't up to standards for Wifi.

Likewise unless you're in your 14 day cooling-off period you won't be able to leave penalty free.


*****
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Reply
sriramvs
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
172 Views
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Hub 3 intermittently losing 5Ghz WiFi connection

Then let them fix this issue until they cant anymore.

0 Kudos
Reply
Ashleigh_C
  • 1.59K
  • 59
  • 132
Forum Team
Forum Team
169 Views
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Hub 3 intermittently losing 5Ghz WiFi connection

Hi @sriramvs

 

I'm so sorry to see this issue has been ongoing it sounds incredibly frustrating and I can understand your disappointment at the moment.

 

I can see that we have tried a few options and they haven't helped so I feel it would be best to have an engineer come out to look at your equipment directly. I have made this appointment for you and it can be viewed by logging into your My Virgin Media App or by logging in online here. You can also reschedule should this appointment not be suitable for you. 

 

Please pop back to the forums afterwards to let us know things are looking. 

Ash_C
Forum Team



New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide


0 Kudos
Reply