cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Hub 3 Modem Mode Slow

incandisco
On our wavelength

I've just upgraded to the 600Mbps package, since Gig1 isn't yet available in my area. However, I have a hub 3 in modem mode, and I can't get wired speeds above 180-190Mbps.  If I connect my existing Netgear Nighthawk router with the Hub 3 in Router mode, I get up to 650Mbps.  So why is modem mode clobbering the speed so much?  The Hub 3 doesn't have decent QoS settings or parental controls, so I need to use my existing Netgear to run that side of things.

Any help, please Virgin?  I can see that this Hub 3 is capable of 600Mbps, but it's delivering less than 200Mbps in Modem Mode.

16 REPLIES 16

incandisco
On our wavelength

And yes, I've turned off WiFi on my router, and made sure the only device connected to it when doing the speed tests is my desktop PC, with a good quality CAT6 cable.  I've tested everything thoroughly before posting this message and can replicate the issue at will.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You havent said ... can you boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, anti-virus, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests on PC's/laptops

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand wrote:
You havent said ... can you boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

Indeed I can, and have as a first step of troubleshooting - (checks notepad) - 180-190Mbps in Modem Mode, 644Mbps in Router Mode.  I've even disabled QoS on the Netgear, in case it was throttling the wired connection for any reason, but no - it's definitely the Hub 3 in Modem Mode that's causing the slow performance.

The thing that immediately comes to mind is a faulty hub, incidentally what did you upgrade from? It may be that the hub was always faulty in modem mode but you just didn’t notice it in the past because your rated speed was less than what it could cope with anyway.

Have you tried the good old pinhole, full factory reset, just in case the firmware is being a bit troublesome and needs a kick?

Other than that, the only other thing would be a hub replacement, which you might get VM to struggle to understand why, ‘but it works in our preferred router mode, so where’s the issue?’

I’m slightly surprised to hear you say that 1 Gig isn’t available in your area? Who said that, by the way, as I’m sure that VM made a big fuss of claiming that it was available in all areas now and all our customers can benefit…. .?

incandisco
On our wavelength

I was on M350 but getting less than 200Mbps there too. Because it was above half, I didn’t ever query it.

When I changed back to Router Mode to test things, I had to do a pinhole reset as the router password on the bottom on the Hub didn’t work. A quick reset later, and I’m in Router Mode, with a working password and 650Mbps. Change back to Modem Mode, and I’m back to less than 200Mbps like I have been for the last year or so without questioning it.

So possibly replacement hub time, you think?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Its clear and not that VM are doing something here.

Connect only a PC to the hub and change to modem mode get that working unplug replug ethernet or power off hub for 2mins then do a speed test. If speed is good check what WAN IP your on then connect PC to the Nighthawk login find the MAC clone option to copy your MAC to router then connect it up and check your speed and WAN IP.
---------------------------------------------------------------

@jem101 wrote:

I’m slightly surprised to hear you say that 1 Gig isn’t available in your area? Who said that, by the way, as I’m sure that VM made a big fuss of claiming that it was available in all areas now and all our customers can benefit…. .?

That would be the agent who gave me the offer of M600 + Maxit, etc to stay with Virgin Media rather than going to BT Fibre…

@legacy1 wrote:
Connect only a PC to the hub and change to modem mode get that working unplug replug ethernet or power off hub for 2mins then do a speed test. If speed is good check what WAN IP your on then connect PC to the Nighthawk login find the MAC clone option to copy your MAC to router then connect it up and check your speed and WAN IP.

That's now done.
Exactly the same results - every time in Modem Mode, regardless of Netgear Router or PC plugged in directly -180Mbps (ish)
When in Router Mode - 640Mbps.

It can ONLY be the Hub 3 with a problem in Modem Mode, surely?

TBBMon1.jpg