Menu
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 11 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin 4 Hub does not work with Ethernet Switch or Deco M9

You can do this at ThinkBroadband (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 12 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Zatoichi wrote:

<snip>  The hub is on Router mode as that's is what we are using it for. Tried to have only one thing attached and makes no difference.

Use the Hub in Modem mode and the Deco for all the routing.  So Hub ---->  Deco ------> Switch    See how that performs.   

Also try a full 60 second pinhole reset on the Hub.  Do NOT reboot it afterwards, just let it do it's thing as it will reboot itself when it needs to.

0 Kudos
Zatoichi
Tuning in
Message 13 of 28
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 14 of 28
Flag for a moderator

You'll have to wait a few hours to get a meaningful BQM. But since you've already demonstrated a full download speed I don't see what help it would be.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Zatoichi wrote:

Here you go...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d056f6e2bc8602101d3e97d1fed19389ae...

Your connection is fine use hub in modem mode with your Deco M9 as the router.

---------------------------------------------------------------
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 16 of 28
Flag for a moderator

As already mentioned by others and I the BQM is pointless - it monitors the WAN side whereas this is clearly a LAN side issue.

Frankly I don't know why the VM staff member asked you to set that up.  Barking up the wrong tree.

• From my experience (gained in various environments including complex data centre type installations)  port negation issues like this normally turn out to be something silly or simple - I've seen it where there's a sliver of plastic insulation on a contact causing the problem, for example - so check all the sockets and cables carefully, including the shield if there is one.
  • It can also be a bad cable or one that is not actually fully populated - try others of known good quality
  • Given that you've tried tow different switches, which are both apparently 1gig capable, it points to an issue with the hub (though that apparently worked OK with one machine)
  • Try rebooting/factory reset of the hub
  • There are various other diagnostic one could try too...
  • As mentioned, you will likely be off running the hub in modem mode using the Deco as the router
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Zatoichi
Tuning in
Message 17 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this.

I shall try the factory reset and see what happens.

I have tried many cables etc and as mentioned, its fine when I use ethernet directly into my Mac. Just seems when something is in between it goes down to 100MB. 

Failing that I will try the modem mode.

Thanks everyone. Let's see if this works.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 18 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Zatoichi wrote:

Thanks for this.

I shall try the factory reset and see what happens.

I have tried many cables etc and as mentioned, its fine when I use ethernet directly into my Mac. Just seems when something is in between it goes down to 100MB. 

Failing that I will try the modem mode.

Thanks everyone. Let's see if this works.

Fair enough

I should add that I've also seen it where one make of switch/device won't negotiate (play) with another due to interoperability issues - so it could be that the hub 4 won't work properly with your switches.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Zatoichi
Tuning in
Message 19 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Do you know which switches do work by chance?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 20 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Just get an unmanged switch with 1GB ports form good makers like Netgear, TP-Link. Will be ~£15-25

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos