cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN & DNS issues

MDewhurst
Tuning in

I'm having issues with my works VPN connection as well as an Xbox series X DNS not being able to resolve xbox server names.

I'm running a Hub 3 in modem mode, with an tp-link Archer AX10 as my router.

My work uses a Cato Networks VPN and while I'm able to connect, the connection is unusable slow, and trying to do anything like remote desktop will cause the connection to drop all together.

When it comes to the Xbox, it will take several attempts to connect, with it failing because of DNS each time. I do also have some issues with wireless devices in general losing connection, but I've not reliably managed to record which devices and when.

I thought I had solved this issue a few months ago after changing the router to use the Google public DNS. Since making that change I've not had a problem. However I had to replace the router (same model) over the weekend as the original was damaged, and after putting the settings back to what I remember them being, the issues have returned.

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Connect a PC to the hub in modem mode and see if you have issues.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I don't get any sort of network connection when connecting directly to the hub in modem mode. Am I missing something?

Power off hub for 2mins disable/enable NIC.
---------------------------------------------------------------

It's a different laptop and a different VPN but when connected straight into the modem the problem doesn't seem to be present. I'll double check in the morning with the other laptop/VPN. But in this case what do I need to be looking out for on the tp-link router that might be causing this?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you running the TP Link in router mode with the Hub in modem mode?   The Google DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I would strongly recommend you use a cable connection to the XBox as wifi is not the best for gaming.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes, the TP Link device is in router mode and the Hub is in modem mode. I currently have the TP Link router set to use Google Public DNS, which is what fixed the issue last time as far as I could tell, but the problems are persisting.

A cable to the xbox wouldn't be practical at the moment, and the wifi connection hasn't been a problem until this issue reappeared on Sunday.