cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Not working

Jay2000
Tuning in

Hi

As I can see online and on the forums - that VPN's don't seem to work on Virgin Media and there's not a clear reason why,

But I have the same issue across all devices.

We have a Laptop, Phone, Tablet and we use Forticlient VPN. WHen we connect to the VPN and use our Broadband (wife AND wired) the VPN will not work.

We have done the following

a) We have ruled out ALL devices but having two other networks to connect to and they ALL work on non-virgin media networks

b) We have ensured that parental control is off

c) we have enasured that fragmented packets are enabled and disabled

The issue is still there.

The applications and all just do not work when the VPN make or attempts to make a connection.

We have the latest Super Hub from Virgin also.

As this issue is so prevalent - has anyone spend time trying to address it? As the broadband router is clearly the issue and/or filtering of some kind on the virgin media network.

Other things we will have done

a) ensured Windows 10 is updated

b) Windows 10 FW disabled and enabled - and both don't fix the issue

c) disabled AV as a test - but still doesn't work.

Can someone in VM perhaps look at this? As its a common and known issue across so many people. 

As it stands if we cant have this addressed we would cancel 50 VM links across our company employees as it makes VPN not workable. 

J

17 REPLIES 17

Did you try to integrate VPN on your router?

I think it will solve your problem.

Hi / All

So did some more fault finding and issue still exists

When connected to the VPN - over the VM link - Outlook and Teams stopped working but Browser internet access works

The same device on ANY other link AND the same VPN - everything works

Its like the VM router/fw is blocking MS / Teams?

Any clues?

J

So the VPN connects OK?

If so what IP address and gateway are associated with the VPN? - could be that they conflict with the standard SH3 subnet.

Ok, so your first post, you stated that the VPN did not work period.  

• Now its started working?  
  • What did you do to get it to work?  
  • For example did you follow any of the bullet pointed suggestions in my previous response?

To respond to your latest issues.

"When connected to the VPN - over the VM link - Outlook and Teams stopped working but Browser internet access works"
What do you mean by "over the VM link"? Also when you say "outlook and teams stopped working", what do you mean?  They couldn't connect? Error messages? Screenshots of errors? Troubleshooting ie were outlook and teams restated?  Rebooted?

What?  That 
statement makes no sense!

If the VPN is connected, then it is the process controlling traffic on your pc / device(s) not the router.
.Again would need a more detailed desctiopn including screenshots of errors of "stopped working"

Ok, so your first post, you stated that the VPN did not work period.  

• Now its started working?  
  • What did you do to get it to work?  
  • For example did you follow any of the bullet pointed suggestions in my previous response?

To respond to your latest issues.

"When connected to the VPN - over the VM link - Outlook and Teams stopped working but Browser internet access works"
What do you mean by "over the VM link"? Also when you say "outlook and teams stopped working", what do you mean?  They couldn't connect? Error messages? Screenshots of errors? Troubleshooting ie were outlook and teams restated?  Rebooted?

Over the VM Link - Means using the Virgin Media Broad Band 

To be clearer

I have a laptop, I am connected to the virgin media WiFi and Outlook and Teams works fine as does Internet Browsing

I then connect to the VPN over the Virgin Media WifI and the VPN completed its connection, I get the IP from the VPN and the following happens

Internet Browsing still works

Outlook stops working (failed to connect)

Teams stops working (cannot connect so goes offline)

I then disconnect from the VPN and Outlook and Teams starts working,

I then tether of 2 different carriers (Read: 5 G off the Phone and 02 off another phone) and when on each I connect to the VPN and all works as expected. IE Outlook continues to work, Teams continues to work and Browsing is also fine. 

What?  That 
statement makes no sense!

Please see above. But to be clearer

Laptop > Connects to VM Wifi> Laptop and all Apps work

Laptop > Connected to VM WIFi > Connects to VPN > Browsing works but Outlook and Teams stops working

Laptop > Connected to 5GEE > Connects to VPN > Laptop and all Apps work

Laptop > Connected to 02 > Connects to VPN > Laptop and all Apps work

So as you can see - the same device using the other two links (5gEE and 02) work with the VPN and all apps.

If the VPN is connected, then it is the process controlling traffic on your pc / device(s) not the router.
.Again would need a more detailed desctiopn including screenshots of errors of "stopped working"

As Above : But Outlook goes to Offline and Teams goes Offline then logs out after a while.

Does that help?

Good points

VM Network is on a 192.168

VPN is on a 172.16 network

Yeah, thanks for the expanded responses 😀

This appears to be a much more complicated issue than it first sounded, especially with the fact that its now just effecting those x2 MS products.

Because of limitations of virgin routers, would suggest your next step is to get a dedicated wifi router and put your superhub into modem mode and then re-test

Would also recommend you raise this issue on their forums

https://forum.fortinet.com

How do you use modem mode?