Menu
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VOIP issues using Cisco softphone and Hub 3

There's hints of trouble in the network log, and the upstream timeouts, but what strikes me most of all is the error counts on the downstream.  Could you turn the hub off for a couple of minutes and then on again, as that resets the error counters.  Then repost the downstream data after (say) 12 or 24 hours - and mention roughly how long since it was restarted.  A cable hub always collects errors and that needn't be a problem, but it depends on how quickly they are building up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Travelstar
Dialled in
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, the error counts are high but I don’t know what the modem uptime is. Regardless, the I corrected error levels should not be that high. Corrected errors are fine. 🙂

Time to schedule a tech I think, but I would still look to get your own router and WiFi solution.

0 Kudos
kim-11
Joining in
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you aswell for your thoughts. 
I will reset the router again this evening and see if the errors are consistent tomorrow in line with what was suggested.

Is there a way of explaining what this data means and what you are looking for/seeing as it is completely like a foreign language!

On a different note the phone issues I experience which led me to post have actually been better today than usual-is that data from today?

How does a separate router work as if there is a problem with the wifi service will this just not affect the new router or is it the hub which is causing the problem?

0 Kudos
Travelstar
Dialled in
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

A lot of ISP supplied kit tends to be bad at doing things like port forwarding reliably, something key to tech like VOIP.

Regardless, it’s likely time for a tech visit. Remember that periods of hot and cold can have big impacts on your connection.

The good news is that your power levels and SNR looks good, but I do wonder if you have any intermittent noise coming through from something like a bad cable or rogue microwave causing the uncorrected error counts to go up.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Your VM router would go in "Modem Mode" and behave like a modem instead of a router.  It would no longer provide router features as an additional router would take the feed from the "modem" (MOdulator/DEModulator) and the other router would pass the feed on via wi-fi or ethernet (wired) and any stuff would be connected to that instead.  It can be quite costly depending on where you want wi-fi/ethernet.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@kim-11 Is there a way of explaining what this data means and what you are looking for/seeing as it is completely like a foreign language!

The majority of people commenting here are non-VM staff (like me), and have picked up The Knowledge by observation, reading around, learning from the most knowledgeable members, and from observing over time the relationships between problems, hub data and solutions.  Anyone can do this, it is generally associated with the following criteria:

• An interest in the technology
  • Prior experience in some different form of IT
  • Time on hands!
  • A willingness to learn
  • Being comfortable with ambiguous data - the DOCSIS technology VM use is a combination of science and dark magic, and the rules can often be very flexible

There is a "sticky" post about how DOCSIS works here, but it is quite complex, and whilst accurate doesn't cover everything, nor do the minimum/maximum values clearly align with the rules of thumb that forum contributors use when dispensing advice.

If you're after a few rules of thumb, then these are what I personally look for: All 24 downstream channels to have SNR of 35 dB or more, power levels between -5 dBmV and +10 dBmV, but no more than 5 dBmV range between highest and lowest.  Downstream "post-RS" errors no more than 1-10 per 24 hours across all channels.  Upstream power between 35 dBmV and 50 dBmV, no more than 1 T3 timeout across all 4 channels, all four channels showing as 64 QAM.  Even then, that's a very partial guide with a lot of "maybes" around it.  I'd say most people are best off using the forum as a resource if there's problems rather than trying to interpret a lot of often vague and variable technical data!  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos