cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM causing SSL error

crezo
Joining in

My personal website is showing an SSL error when using virgin media.

I've checked the site and the SSL is setup correctly, works fine on my mobile connection, when using a VPN and I've had several other people try on other ISPs with no issue either. This happens on both my iPhone and Macbok.

I've cleared all caches, tried all browsers, reset the DNS on my mac, and restored the router to default settings, and I've even turned off all adult and virus filters etc in the VM settings - same issue is still happening with the following error:

This site can’t provide a secure connection

crezocreative.com sent an invalid response.

ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

The site itself is fine, and I've even had the hosting company check from their end, with no issues at all.

I need to get this fixed ASAP otherwise I'm going to have to move to another ISP. I need to do work on this urgently, but can currently only do this over a VPN, and if I have to pay for that just to access the site, then I may as well switch to a cheaper ISP.

Any ideas why you're blocking my site, and how to get it unblocked?
17 REPLIES 17

Hi, would you mind explaining how that works, so I can better understand this incase it's an issue I run into in the future?

I'd accessed the same site before and after the DNS changes on my mobile on EE, and VM on both the mobile and laptop. Is it just a case that it was taking longer for the Virgin cache to update the new DNS changes than it was on EE on my mobile then? Sorry of this is a daft question, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how this works so I can look out for it with changes on sites in the future.

Thanks for the help.

Anonymous
Not applicable
when you access a domain name it queries the DNS server. If that DNS has not got the IP in the cache it looks up the name server and ask that for the IP.
Once it has the IP it caches it for a set time. normally for VM 3 days.

If you change the ip during this time it won't update on the dns until the cache expires and it checks again.

if you access it from another DNS server not used before it will check the name server and get the new Ip right away as it has no cache

Ah that's really helpful to know thank you!! I presumed clearing the OS DNS cache got round that, now I know it doesn't.

Thanks for the help, that's hugely useful to know that it takes around 3 days to update.

Hi, i have recently had similar issue with accessing Microsoft Teams and getting ssl protocol error. I finally sorted it by allowing 'chat' eebsites within virgin websafe settings. 

Picked up hint in this topic: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Microsoft-Teams-Unable-to-Connect/m-p/42310... 

primeineducatio
Joining in

Hello

we are also haveing exactly the same issue, our website is being blocked by virgin media, we have tried everything but the problem is not getting resolved. can you please advise anything as what's cuasing the probelem. as everying seems to be setup correctly.

Kind Regards,

Hi @primeineducatio

Welcome to our Community Help Forums 🙂

Thank you for making your first post in the topic regarding SSL errors and your website being blocked.

Can you chcek to see if you have parental controls switched on?

Have you tried disabling the chat blocking feature in the child safe settings on your online account?

Thanks,

Serena

Hope it's ok posting here. I have a similar issue to the original poster.

I'm a web designer looking after a client's website. The SSL certificate on the website had been working fine since the website launched a couple of months ago. Over the last few days I have intermittently been getting an SSL error when viewing the website via Virgin Media. It's a 'this website is insecure' message that I'm getting. One of my client's customers has reported having the same issue, also over VM.

When the error occurs, the SSL certificate that's actually being loaded is not my client's SSL certificate. The SSL certificate being loaded is for localhost.localdomain, rather than for the website domain, which is fettleanimation.com.

Here's the info from the SSL certificate:

Subject Name:

State/Province/Country: Georgia
Organisation: ARRIS Group Inc.
Organisational Unit: Touchstone
Common Name: localhost.localdomain

Issuer Name:

State/Province/Country: Georgia
Locality Suwanee
Organisation: ARRIS Group Inc.
Organisational Unit: Touchstone
Common Name: localhost.localdomain

I believe ARRIS are a manufacturer of VM Hubs / routers, which is what made me first think this might be a Virgin Media issue.

Child safe is switched off in my account.

This is very frustrating. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dan

Figured out what was causing our SSL error!

It was a DNS issue.

Don't know where it had come from, but there was a rouge A record pointing to the IP address corresponding to the Virgin router.

Very bizarre.

Pleased to have figured it out. Everything working fine now.