Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Wifi pod running costs

Sammy9
Tuning in

Hi,

How many watts is a VM wifi pod?

I ask as I would like to know the cost of using a wifi pod for a year using current electricity prices - £0.34 per kWh.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Seems an eminently reasonable request.  In practice, a wifi access point power such as a VM/Plume pod, a standalone wireless access point, or a mesh system unit, energy use varies depending on how much activity it is doing, and how efficiently it operates.  The 15W figure from Plume is a peak figure, Plume's web site suggests 4.5W in idle mode and 10W average.  That 10W is undoubtedly an arbitrary figure rather than accurate for your particular use, and seems a bit high to me but it'll do for logic purposes.  I have a suspicion (that I can't prove) that the Plume pods are slightly more power hungry than a normal mesh system, but we're talking in the 1-3 watts range.  Partly that's based on user comments that the pods run hot, partly on the understanding that the Plume system involves rather more processing and data exchange to run their real time intelligent wifi. 

Your hub on its own uses around 12W average, around £36 a year.  A hub and one pod at 10W will be using about 22W, which at current electricity prices is around £65 a year. 

If you had three pods, then it's 42W and £125 a year for 24/7 running.    The real energy hog is the hub, because the DOCSIS signal processing used for the cable data connection is very energy intensive and has no low power state, so (generalising across VM hubs) it is always running at around 11-13W.  The ONT of an Openreach FTTP line is around 3.5W for comparison, although you'll need to add on the power use of a router or mesh system to compare.  Until recently I was running a VM hub (12W) and two Deco M4 mesh units at say an average of 7W each (based on reported tests of these systems, hence my suspicions above), so costing £77 a year.  My new Openreach setup of the same mesh and an Adtran ONT is about £54 a year.

For people with smart home gadgetry, that may involve regular device polling and small but frequent data transfers, that may prevent any wifi setup going into a standby mode, and materially increase average energy use on the wifi side of things.  In the longer term VM will be moving to a passive optical network that will bring customer energy use more in line with Openreach connections, but we're talking a good few years before that becomes a reality in customer's homes - it requires the rebuild of all of VM's network to FTTP and the retirement of DOCSIS.  In newer built areas representing about 20% of their network, VM already have FTTP, but because they still use DOCSIS hubs there's no energy savings.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jhuk
Trouble shooter

No clue why you would even worry about that, but the info will no doubt be on PLUMES website (they make the POD's).

I would like to know how much each pod costs to run.

info i found states a pod is 15w. So with today's price that would mean it costs nearly £45 a year per pod.Is that right? Seems a lot. That's a lot of money especially if you have 2 or 3.

jhuk
Trouble shooter

You said that twice now and you did eventually go and find the info you could have in the first place.

If I were you, I would turn off your PC, TV etc and rest of your devices to save money if that is what worries you or you could stop smoking/drinking and eating takeaway IF you do any of these expensive habits.

if you're not interested why view let alone comment??

Why not leave your bedroom and go outside and see the dire financial situation the vast majority of the public are living in.

And I only managed to find info after I learnt the pods are made by Plume.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Seems an eminently reasonable request.  In practice, a wifi access point power such as a VM/Plume pod, a standalone wireless access point, or a mesh system unit, energy use varies depending on how much activity it is doing, and how efficiently it operates.  The 15W figure from Plume is a peak figure, Plume's web site suggests 4.5W in idle mode and 10W average.  That 10W is undoubtedly an arbitrary figure rather than accurate for your particular use, and seems a bit high to me but it'll do for logic purposes.  I have a suspicion (that I can't prove) that the Plume pods are slightly more power hungry than a normal mesh system, but we're talking in the 1-3 watts range.  Partly that's based on user comments that the pods run hot, partly on the understanding that the Plume system involves rather more processing and data exchange to run their real time intelligent wifi. 

Your hub on its own uses around 12W average, around £36 a year.  A hub and one pod at 10W will be using about 22W, which at current electricity prices is around £65 a year. 

If you had three pods, then it's 42W and £125 a year for 24/7 running.    The real energy hog is the hub, because the DOCSIS signal processing used for the cable data connection is very energy intensive and has no low power state, so (generalising across VM hubs) it is always running at around 11-13W.  The ONT of an Openreach FTTP line is around 3.5W for comparison, although you'll need to add on the power use of a router or mesh system to compare.  Until recently I was running a VM hub (12W) and two Deco M4 mesh units at say an average of 7W each (based on reported tests of these systems, hence my suspicions above), so costing £77 a year.  My new Openreach setup of the same mesh and an Adtran ONT is about £54 a year.

For people with smart home gadgetry, that may involve regular device polling and small but frequent data transfers, that may prevent any wifi setup going into a standby mode, and materially increase average energy use on the wifi side of things.  In the longer term VM will be moving to a passive optical network that will bring customer energy use more in line with Openreach connections, but we're talking a good few years before that becomes a reality in customer's homes - it requires the rebuild of all of VM's network to FTTP and the retirement of DOCSIS.  In newer built areas representing about 20% of their network, VM already have FTTP, but because they still use DOCSIS hubs there's no energy savings.

jhuk
Trouble shooter

As I said he can turn off his PC and the HUB (as you pointed out as a hog) etc to save money.

Thanks for your reply Andrew-G, extremely helpful.