Menu
paddy10tellys
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM Superhub 3 modem mode + Netgear Nighthawk router will not connect to internet!!!

What I've tried already...

Logged on to 192.168.0.1 & put the SH3 into modem mode. Magenta bar appears after a few minutes. VM tech support India confirmed connection.

SH3 connected to Netgear Nighthawk R9000 WAN port (not powered yet), nothing else connected. NB I have tried this using each of the ethernet sockets on the SH3...

Power down SH3. Wait.
Power on Nighthawk. Wait until all the LED's have settled.
Power on SH3
Doesn't work today whichever order I power up...

Apart from a couple of times yesterday when I had ethernet but no wireless I am getting nowhere. Yesterday, I could use the web briefly but I was unable to log on to Netgears routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com to complete wifi configuration on the Nighthawk.

I've tried with Windows 10 & Ubuntu 16.04

No joy today.

I've done pin resets 5x on the SH3 to restore default router mode...
I've had four different telephone sessions with VM tech support
They finally said they would send a new SH3 - I suspect they did this to get rid of me. I believe the SH3 cannot be malfunctioning because it is fine in default mode

This is bending my Swede! Any advice please?
0 Kudos
AliasNeo
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VM Superhub 3 modem mode + Netgear Nighthawk router will not connect to internet!!!

I had the exact same problem when I first setup my SH3 via modem mode and I basically went through all the steps you've taken already what I believe solved it for me was changing the cable I was using between the SH3 and my router.

I initially used a **bleep**ty Cat5e cable but after researching into this I found many people suggested the quality of the cable is to blame due to the spec of the SH3 not having a very high tolerance, so after I bought a decent Cat7 cable and did the power down/up steps it connected straight away and i've not had any problems since.

I hope this helps and good luck!

0 Kudos
paddy10tellys
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VM Superhub 3 modem mode + Netgear Nighthawk router will not connect to internet!!!

Thanks, I've ordered a cat6 cable.

0 Kudos
paddy10tellys
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Working now. IDK why. I did so much fiddling, not sure what did it!

0 Kudos
Afilsdesigner
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Had the exact same issue which was strange because I'd been using the SH3 as a modem with an ASUS RT-AC86U router as my WiFi and main switch all via a VPN connection. The fix in my case was a setting on the ASUS router: Clone MAC address. This forwards the PC MAC address after which the SH3 burst back into life. I read this on another thread which I can't find! So thanks to whoever wrote it! Shame on VM for not publishing this information prominently together with the modem address which becomes 192.168.100.1 when in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
scargman
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to jump on this thread.  If I put my SH3 into modem mode and use a Netgear Nighthawk, will it use the same SSID as I've currently got or will I have to reconnect all my gadgets?

0 Kudos
Afilsdesigner
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, You will need to copy the original VM SSID into your Nighthawk and then everything should work as before. Alternatively, pick a new SSID for your Nighthawk and then reconnect all your devices using the new SSID.

0 Kudos