cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM CORE NETWORK FAILURE {URGANT}

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star

Good afternoon all.

I want to bring to the attention of Virgin Media ASAP that there is an issue with the core network configuration.

It has been brought to my attention by a member of the Thinkbroadband forum that the "BGP is incorrectly configured and rather than going via Liberty Global /Aorta some traffic is going via LINX direct to VMO2" 

This poses an issue since there is a lack of capacity through this routing.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9195-bqm-showing-peak-time-latency-issues-for-virgin-media-users

This is causing issues with the core network within the last few days.

Please refer to the article attached.

MY BMQ's for reference

LIVE BMQ 

8/04/2022 

09/04/2022 

10/04/2022 

11/04/2022 

12/04/2022 

Kind Regards

RR_THE_IT_GUY

569 REPLIES 569

hammic
Up to speed

As I suggested in my post earlier in this thread, we need an alternative to thinkbroadband for broadband quality tests.  I would happily setup another BQM graph with another provider, as it can only help.

ScottsterUK
On our wavelength

I've commented elsewhere that I believe this statement to be cleverly worded. Not a lie, as such -- but I would posit that it is admission through omission.

By that, I mean I suspect it is literally true that the issue exclusively impacts traffic passing through an interconnect from the Virgin network to the ThinkBroadband server site. However, from my own experience -- and that of others here --- it would seem clear that plenty of other sites are affected by traffic passing through that same interconnect.

So, while the Virgin Media statement might be intended to make us believe it is/was exclusively traffic to the ThinkBroadband server site that is/was affected, I think an honest statement would be closer to: "(the root cause...) exclusively impacts traffic passing through a specific interconnect. The ThinkBroadband site is served by that interconnect, as are many other websites and services."

If someone from Virgin Media would like to confirm whether or not this is correct, or whether ThinkBroadband really was the *only* affected website/service, I'm sure we're all ears.

On the plus side, for now at least, the problem does seem to have been resolved or mitigated.

ScottsterUk you are spot on, in that its not just one service over that particular link.

There is also the question of why does it sporadically happen at set intervals.

Virgin haven't answered it and i dont believe fixed anything. Going to monitor this weekend and if in my games i get packetloss at the same time as BQM graphs, i will tear Virgin a new one on twitter, followed by find another service maybe at 1/10th the speed, but no latency/packetloss so better for gaming. 

Not sure how a bandwidth / speedtest compares to a BQM graph, they are not the same tool comparison.

We said they would blame thinkbroadband link and they did. 

Virgin Media issues statement on latency issues:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9207-virgin-media-issues-statement-on-latency-issues

Virgin you real are a bunch of weasels. I'm going to go out of my way to make you lose as many customers as I can now..  

Virgin always deflecting blame, shock horror. This weeks BQM for me has been a travesty, worse than the last 6 months as per my thread. I’m sure they will blame BQM again or just say there’s nothing else we can do like they’ve told me before. Shambles of a company.

I feel your frustration locky1, Virgin need to recognise that people value latency over speed. Average person doesn't need or want a 500mb or a 1 gig connection, what we need is low latency for a good gaming experience. 

Sorry I'm confused, are they saying that the only issue is what's showing on the BQM's and there's no actual line issue elsewhere? Everything I use is affected i.e. transiently my PC is slow, TV signal pixelates on different channels and Warzone..AGGGHHH!!!  I've had a replacement Hub 4, All new domestic fittings and lines AND a new cable laid from Cabinet t o the house! My BQM now: 

My Broadband Ping - My Asus

@ewhitey, that's looking a lot better, still no where near as good as BT FTTP, but seems pretty good as far as DOCSIS is concerned. have you noticed improvement in warzone?

Nightgaunt
On our wavelength

My BQM was looking better last night with the odd blip at 4am and 8am.

What a total load of crock from VM to suggest it is only BQM that is affected.

Gaming, browsing, downloading and every speed test site I've tried showed the issue. 

I take it all traffic goes through Thinkbroadband does it VM? Who are you kidding? A bit of honesty and integrity goes a long way!

A sad statement from VM indeed, it wouldn't explain the major packet loss I was facing and the ability to upload off-site being non-existent.

Don't you find it strange they only seem to run these so called diagnostics when there is nothing really there to detect? They always release a statement right after an evening with no issues presented on the BQM's. I think it's safe to say a lot of people will be leaving the first chance they get if they don't hurry up and take ownership and fix the problem. I'm so glad I jumped ship when I had the chance after coming out with statements like that.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900