AMCross
On our wavelength

can you dump the virgin supplied units and use your own

especially want to dump the chita (business ) and my homes hub 5

and purchase something more robust

15 REPLIES 15

@RJH1975 wrote:

Hi

I use my own Asus router, but I have left my virgin hub in router mode. My router works fine. I get a fairly good speeds so I’m unsure as to why people say you need to leave the Virgin hub in modern mode when using a third-party router?

Ultimately, if the setup works for you then that's fine, and nobody should criticise you for it. In theory, from a network point of view, the hub in modem mode does simplify a few issues - but if these 'issues' don't happen  to apply to you, then fine. You may get some responses talking about 'double NAT' and 'DHCP services', which are not necessarily wrong, but are not such a big of deal as you might might be suggested - well, depending on the situation.

Bottom line, does your existing setup work OK? If yes, then leave the 'f' alone!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@RJH1975 wrote:

Hi

I use my own Asus router, but I have left my virgin hub in router mode. My router works fine. I get a fairly good speeds so I’m unsure as to why people say you need to leave the Virgin hub in modern mode when using a third-party router?

You don't get to be in the exclusive club.😇

---------------------------------------------------------------

BnT86
On our wavelength

Hi, I’m slightly intrigued by this…how would they know?

if I get a new modem, rather than use the hub in modem mode* and configure it to use the account credentials, do they really check the hardware signature at sign-in?

it seems like a lot of shag and hassle if the account is what they really want to authenticate…

*(ignoring, for now, the justification for swapping the modem out…)

BnT86
On our wavelength

*do [they really check]

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM does not provision a user's modem, so you have to use a VM hub.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"if I get a new modem, rather than use the hub in modem mode* and configure it to use the account credentials, do they really check the hardware signature at sign-in?"
There are NO account credentials that can be entered to sign in, there is no such thing. Internal details are held in each VM hub and these are verified to ensure you can access the VM network. There is NO way that you can access these credentials to enter into your own modem. This would be a serious break in VM security that thousands of people could then exploit. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2