Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Using superhub 3 in modem mode with wireless booster...?

I have had a different answer every time I speak to Virgin so I'm hoping someone can actually help me out with my questions...

I have a superhub 3 which I use in modem mode. It is connected to an Airport Extreme via an ethernet cable in port 4.

The Extreme links to further Airport Expresses but they still don't provide the cover I want in the kitchen.

Due to the layout of the house the kitchen is bordered by 2 external walls so the wifi signal in there is quite bad. I was offered the free wifi boosters and am hoping I can connect them to improve the signal.

The last virgin bod I spoke to said the wireless boosters would work if I connected to port 4 on the superhub but that is the one which connects to the Airport Extreme... I haven't had the time to trial different ports and was hoping someone could tell me if the boosters will work in this set up before I start trying?

As an extra, we also now have a second Tivo in the kitchen which isn't wired in and won't connect because of the bad signal. We can run an ethernet cable under the floorboards if really necessary but if there's an easier way that would be great.

Is there a really easy, guaranteed way of making this work or am I destined to lots of hair pulling out and swearing to try and get it to work? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using superhub 3 in modem mode with wireless booster...?

The boosters would connect to your Airport Extreme which I guess should work.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why not just add another (or more) Express to serve the kitchen?  They are cheap on eBay I got a mint used one for £15 last year.

Assuming your kitchen Tivo is not a Tivo but a V6 (is it?)....

You have 3 options for connecting it to the Hub (remember - the V6 must also have the VM coax network connection for it to work).
1) Ethernet cable connect it to the Hub – always the best solution
2) Improve the wifi signal at the V6 location – there are lots of discussions and opinions/suggestions how to do that on here – V6 works best on the 5GHz band
3) Connect the V6 to the Hub by good quality powerline adapters and short Cat6 cables. Assuming your electric circuits connection is ok to support that - the kitchen circuitry needs to go through the same consumer unit as that where the Hub is plugged in

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I hadn’t realised they would work together so that’s great to know, thanks.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both, for your replies. Bear with me while I try to understand the technicalities...

Where the V6 (yes, it is) is round the corner where I’m struggling to bounce a line of sight booster to. The closest Express I have just can’t seem to handle the external wall.

When you say the VM coax connection, do you mean a connection to run the Ethernet cable from? I can’t think how else to explain it. The nice VM man put in a type of junction box so we could run both V6s off our connection to the street.

1) That’s the fall back but I wanted to see if there was a less invasive way of connecting the V6.

2) As above, it’s kind of round the corner which is why I wanted to try the wireless boosters

3) I was hoping I could plug the kitchen V6 into the wireless booster virgin have just sent me using a short Ethernet cable - is that what you mean in your point 3?

Thanks again!
0 Kudos