cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Virgin Media Wifi Hotspot On Mac?

H4MZ4
On our wavelength
Currently away from home and I notice a VM hotspot near me, so it's quite useful to think I could grab a temp connection. Only problem is, my phone (with the app) doesn't see the wifi hotspot since its probably a little too far, however my Mac sees it perfectly.

Is it possible to connect to then VM wifi hotspots on non phones? Seems like it asks for a user and password when I try to connect.
52 REPLIES 52

Are people still able to connect using this method? Ive tried this today for the first time at home and can't connect properly with my Mac using this method. Ive connected a couple of times but the internet is that slow its very very unusable and then it drops off the wifi and reconnects to the normal router. 

Ive not tried away from the house yet. 

Ive looked at the router info and I am setup for a hotspot so if Im close enough to connect normally I would think I would be able to connect to the wifi hotspot.

No, not able to connect on my Mac, iPhone connection to the hotspots isn’t usually very good either. Ended up deleting the profile 

I cant get my iPhone to connect either!!

Pretty pants Ive got to say!!

I don't think VM have changed things since I was a Superuser (now defrocked), but my understanding is that any device that is known by its MAC address to your SH2ac or Hub 3 cannot attach to your WiFi hotspot.

@BenMcr might be able to confirm this.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi charlie999, 

Thanks for getting in touch, just to make sure we are all on the same page have you downloaded the latest app for the WiFi hotspots? 

Introducing Virgin Media WiFi

Take care. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

@Emma_E your response does not help. This thread is not about Tablet/Phones - it is about Laptops and Macs which means we cannot just simply download an app from the Play Store or Apple Store.

I am having the same issue, I have tried with the username and password mentioned on this thread - it connects just fine, but it doesn't have any internet what-so-ever - is there something I am missing?

My thoughts exactly.

To be honest I think the whole wifi thing is very poor indeed. Better off getting an unlimited mobile contract and just tether.

@charlie999 - i completely agree with you, This is what I normally do as I get 50GB Data with my phone & I get 4G in most places so it is fairly decent.

@VirginMedia Why not just do something like BT where customers can connect to it and then sign in using their details (like an intranet)?

@TuxMay I’ve done exactly the same, have 40gb on my iPhone, so just tether the Mac to it and use that instead. Gave up with the Virgin WiFi on the iPhone too because i got fedup with it telling me the username / password was incorrect every time I went near a Virgin hub

I don't understand the lunacy in restricting this to the customer as Virgins largest competitor BSkyB offer free Cloud Hotspots to all customers to connect to regardless whether it be Phone, Tablet or Laptop. Surely they must be loosing customers hand-over-fist for something so easily resolved?

Where is the customer loyalty and satisfaction these days? It just seems a redundant practice to create silly restrictions which are not in place with the competition