cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect Philips Hue Bridge to Virgin Hub 3.0

LizP1
Tuning in

Hi there,

I am trying to setup my new Philips Hue Bridge and having trouble connecting it through my Virgin Hub 3.0.

I have come across some other threads with a simliar issue and so far I have tried the following:

Disabled Guest Network so only the main SSID is active.

Disabled the 5Ghz on main network

Disabled SmartWifi Channel Optimisation

but I am still unable to connect.  The app just gives me a message that no new Hue Bridge can be found.

If I view the connections on the Hub, I can see the Hue bridge connected via ethernet - but I am just unable to see it with the app.  I can see my phone connected to the 2.4Ghz wifi network.

I did also try the other suggestion of renaming the main SSIDs to separate the 2.4Ghz from the 5Ghz but this didn't make any difference either!

One other suggestion I saw was to put the Hub 3.0 into modem mode and use a different AP - but I don't have another AP to use, so I wouldn't be able to do this.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I could try please?  I have run out of ideas!

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello LizP1

Thanks for taking the time to contact us in regards to your Hue Bridge and problems connecting it to your Hub 3.0, we appreciate you raising this with us via the forums.

From what you have advised you have tried pretty much everything possible barring putting the Hub into modem mode and using a third party router. If you connect the Hue Bridge via ethernet and your phone (or device you're using to control light's etc/app) is connected to the same network are you then able to make/use the app?

Rob

Hi,

I am having the same issue. 

Is there a fix for this yet?

I've used this on two previous modem router combos and it was clunk and click. 

Would upgrading from a hub 3 to 4 help? 

Or does it have the same issue?

Yours hopefully,

GeckoPerth

Hi @GeckoPerth,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some problems connecting your Philips Hue Bridge to your router. Have you followed the advice and suggestions already mentioned so far in this thread?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi there, I'm having the same issue and was wondering if there's been any update or solution to this?

I purchased a Hue lighting system and have the Philips Hue Hub connected to the back of my router via LAN cable. I downloaded the Hue app and have managed to find the Hue Hub on the network and set my lights up etc. However, the problem starts when I try and add the hub as a bridge in the Apple Home app (HomeKit). It cannot find the Hub.

What's interesting is that this isn't the only bridge issue that I have. When I moved to my new home a year ago, the heating system comes with a bridge so the the thermostats can be controlled via app and/or added to Apple HomeKit. Whilst I've managed to get this working in the native app on my iPhone, when I try and add the bridge to HomeKit, it doesn't see the bridge.

Having read some other threads on other forums, I wonder if this is to do with how Apple's HomeKit service uses 'Bonjour' as a way to find devices? Someone suggested downloading a 'Discovery' (not the streaming service ;-)) app and to look at the _hap._tcp. list to see if my bridge devices are in the list. I've done this, and I cannot see them. Other threads talk about how some security settings on the router may be inhibiting this. But I'm not sure what sort of settings I'd need to change to get around this?

Because these bridges are clearly on my local network - I can see them displayed when I log into the Virgin Hub 3.0 as connected via ethernet, and the fact that I can use the native apps to control the devices connected to these bridges, suggests that there is something in the Virgin Hub settings that is stopping Apple HomeKit from being able to see these bridges and add them.

I don't have any issues with smart home devices that I connect directly into HomeKit by clicking the 'add' button in the Apple Home app and then simply scanning the QR code on the smart home device. It's only a problem when the smart home HomeKit device e.g. Philips Hue, requires you to add a bridge to the router.

I've seen so many posts from people across various internet forums with the same issue. But no clear, straightforward resolution.

Given that many people will be using a Virgin Hub router as part of their smart home setup, and with popular products light Philips Hue lighting out there, is it possible that someone at Virgin could look into this and find a solution? There is a strong suggestion that its all down to security settings. Can someone that knows about the Virgin router security settings and with knowledge of how HomeKit security protocols need to be set in a certain way, look into this, please? I can't seem to use any smart home bridges until this is resolved. I used to be on BT before I moved, and had no problem with bridges connected to the BT router. When I moved, I switched to Virgin and so I can only assume that its the router that is the problem here.

Notes on my setup:

I have a Linksys Velop system with 3 nodes connected as well. One node goes into the router via LAN and the other two connect to the first node through wireless. I did try and run the router in 'modem mode' when I first went to setup the mesh network and this made everything stop working, I had to do a hard reset of the Virgin Hub and get it back to its previous condition to make this work again. But as others have suggested, its not necessarily the 'modem mode' that is the issue here. It's whatever security settings are blocking these bridges from being discovered - in my case, by Apple HomeKit.

Hope someone can help / there's a solution out there! 🙂 Thank you.

@Margate73 wrote:

I have a Linksys Velop system with 3 nodes connected as well. One node goes into the router via LAN and the other two connect to the first node through wireless. I did try and run the router in 'modem mode' when I first went to setup the mesh network and this made everything stop working

You need to use modem mode to fix your problem.

Put hub in modem mode then power off hub for 2mins have only the Velop (in its router mode) to the hub and nothing connected to the Velop then trun on the hub and wait till you get internet.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your reply. I actually tried putting the router into modem mode when I first installed the Velop system, and boy did it go wrong! I have no idea what happened but I simply couldn't get it to work. I ended up doing a factory reset on the virgin hub because it stated (before I put it into modem mode) that I'd need to connect to the modem with a computer and LAN cable if I wanted to revert back. I tried the LAN cable approach and still nothing, so then I went to the hard factory reset with the hub and re-instated it. It's put me off trying modem mode with the velop system!

However, I've just tried something else. I've taken the Hue Hub that was wired with LAN cable directly into the Virgin router out, and I've moved the Hue Hub to one of the Velop nodes and used the LAN cable in one of those. Fired it up, and gone through the Hue App to 'add voice assistant' and this time, I tried pushing the button on the Hue Hub but another option came up - add the QR code number on the back of the Hue Hub, so I entered it and it breezed through the read of the HomeKit installation. Opened the Home app on iPhone and I can see the subsequent setup to add the Hue lights and assign them to rooms.

So whilst this seems to have resolved it, I'm not certain as to why?!

A previous step I took yesterday after reading another thread talking about Linksys Velop and HomeKit issues was to log in to the Linksys setup page on a web browser, directly on my home network (192.168.1.1) and go to security and switch off IPv4 firewall protection and switch off 'filter anonymous internet requests' as - apparently - this would help solve the problem.

I've no idea if this is crucial to the current success as I haven't tried switching those back on and see if that suddenly stop its from working?

Another thing I now want to do is take the other bridge for my heating that's connected to the router via LAN cable and do the same as what I've just done with the Hue Hub and wire it in to one of the other Velop nodes and see if I can then get that connected into HomeKit as well.

Given that my router ISN'T in modem mode, and presumably still transmitting a wireless signal, before I did the above steps, I decided to switch all the Linksys nodes off, so that the only WiFi was coming out of the Virgin router. Then tried seeing if I could get it working that way. But that failed.

So, I have no idea why bridges plugged directly into the router won't work, but bridges plugged directly in the nodes on the mesh network DOES work!?

My Velop nodes are setup with HomeKit security settings (whatever that means!) so maybe Apple/HomeKit is comfortable working with the Velop nodes as opposed to bridges plugged directly into the Virgin router. Maybe because the Linksys Velop system has HomeKit Router capability??

@Margate73 wrote:

Snip...

So, I have no idea why bridges plugged directly into the router won't work, but bridges plugged directly in the nodes on the mesh network DOES work!?

... Snip

Short answer, IP routing and addressing!

What you have, in your case, is basically two linked but separate networks, one connected directly to the Hub (either via cable or WiFi from the Hub itself) and a second network connected via the mesh. Now devices on either network can get out to the internet OK, but a device connected on one network can't see or communicate with a device on the other network - basically there is no 'route' for the traffic to find its way back. In theory this could be fixed by adding static routes to the VM Hub, but alas it isn't anywhere near sophisticated enough to have that facility!

So you have two choices, either a) try again and put the hub into modem mode - in this way the wifi and the ethernet ports on the hub are effectively disabled (yes OK I know that's not strictly true but run with it) and you have just a single network all from just the mesh system. Or b) leave well alone, if is all works, but make sure that don't connect anything to the VM Hub Wifi (if it is still broadcasting) or connect anything else to the ethernet ports on it.

I can just about get my head around what you're saying. Thanks again for the assistance here. And for my next project... bought a raspberry PI and plan to install the HOOBS homebridge software so I can add more devices and other plugins to control things in my smart home. I tried installing Homebridge before on a Mac mini that I wasn't using and played around with it - but the Homebridge GUI was a bit complex, whilst I could get some things to work, it was just a bit way over my head. And I didn't wanna leave the Mac mini running all the time, so I've read that Raspberry PI's are a good option for this 'always on' approach, and the HOOBS GUI is apparently a lot easier for those that have simple/basic understanding. Wish me luck! 😉 

Mataniels
Tuning in

Any update on this - Anyone know if its a Philips issue or a Virgin Media issue?