Menu
sjforster
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 95
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to access https://www.evanscycles.com/

After over 2 hours of waiting for the change in web safe settings to take effect there been no change to being able to acces the website.  So i'll have to give support a call in the morning to see if it can be resolved.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 12 of 95
Flag for a moderator

@bromham wrote:

www.evanscycles.com operates via a Content Delivery Network with a suprisingly large number of IP addresses.

At the time of writing this:

$ nslookup www.evanscycles.com
Non-authoritative answer:
www.evanscycles.com     canonical name = sni.ssl.evanscycles.com.c.footprint.net.
Name:   sni.ssl.evanscycles.com.c.footprint.net
Address: 67.26.41.243
Address: 8.249.255.248
Address: 8.250.39.247

But, a couple of minutes later, the lookup provides three more IP addresses and a couple of minutes after that, yet three more IP addresses.

You may like to try pointing your PC at a different DNS (try 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1) and see if that makes a difference.  Or creating a local hosts file to force your web browser to use one of the IP addresses listed above.

Yes I found that as well and tried to ping several IP addresses - which all failed. Here's what I got from my DNS and from VM's DNS.

C:\>nslookup www.evanscycles.com
Server:  dns.quad9.net
Address:  9.9.9.9

Name:    sni.ssl.evanscycles.com.c.footprint.net
Addresses:  8.250.3.244
Aliases:  www.evanscycles.com

C:\>nslookup www.evanscycles.com 194.168.4.100
Server:  cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address:  194.168.4.100

Name:    sni.ssl.evanscycles.com.c.footprint.net
Addresses:  8.248.173.242
Aliases:  www.evanscycles.com

C:\>

However, I can access the website from Firefox and Chrome.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
sjforster
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 95
Flag for a moderator

@bromham wrote:

You may like to try pointing your PC at a different DNS (try 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1) and see if that makes a difference. 

Thanks for looking into this I've tried setting the DNS to 8.8.8.8 but was still unable to load the website in safari or chrome.  Doing a traceroute from the computer with these settings still showed the route stopping at:

gate-core-2b-xe-521-0.network.virginmedia.net (82.2.240.93)

However setting the DNS to 1.1.1.1 allowed the website to load straight away.  Although this seems to be hit & miss as during further changes to try out the local  host file changes and then reverting back to 1.1.1.1 it seemed to stop working again but now its back up and going so not sure whats going on here unless its something ive done in the changes I've been making.  I'll keep with this and see if it behaves.

nslookups for both sets of DNS servers resolved www.evanscycles.com as follows:

Server:		8.8.8.8
Address:	8.8.8.8#53

www.evanscycles.com	canonical name = sni.ssl.evanscycles.com.c.footprint.net.
Name:	sni.ssl.evanscycles.com.c.footprint.net
Address: 8.241.5.122

Server:		1.1.1.1
Address:	1.1.1.1#53

Address: 8.248.181.243
Address: 8.250.17.245
Address: 67.26.42.11

For completness this is what I get with the default DNS servers:

Server:		194.168.4.100
Address:	194.168.4.100#53

Address: 8.241.5.122

@bromham wrote:

Or creating a local hosts file to force your web browser to use one of the IP addresses listed above.

I tried the 8.248.181.243 in the host file and that also worked, with the DNS servers set to the default virgin media DNS but as mentioned above I'll keep with 1.1.1.1 and see how that goes.  I've also removed the entry from the local host file so that it definetly just using the 1.1.1.1 DNS server address..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Chris5628
Tuning in
Message 14 of 95
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem... I cant solve it, Virgin don't care as long as they get their money, Evan's cycles don't care as long as they get sales. It appears that one or the other has a malfunction but cant be bothered to look into it.

If you get a resolution I would appreciate it if you passed it on.

Kind regards 

Chris

@sjforster wrote:

Hi,

I've got an issue https://www.evanscycles.com/ on my Virgin Media Broadband.  Google Chrome just responds with:

www.evanscycles.com took too long to respond.

Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
Doing a trace route from the Hub 3.0 Advanced Settings / Tools / Traceroute just stops at the 2nd Hop.

Trace Statistics : traceroute to www.evanscycles.com (8.241.5.122), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 10.202.8.1 (10.202.8.1) 10.000 ms 10.000 ms 10.000 ms
2 gate-core-2b-xe-521-0.network.virginmedia.net (82.2.240.93) 30.000 ms 10.000ms 20.000 ms
3 * * *
30 * * *
Trace complete
I've checked the websafe  app and I've got no blocked sites and I've tried with both virus safe and child safe switched off which made no difference.  I've even tried adding the website to the allowed list but again no difference.

I've rang 150 and have been told that Virgin Media block access to this site which I can't believe given its just a bicycle retailer but I couldn't get any further with that on the phone. 

I've raised the issue via a webpage on the virgin media site to get the site unblocked but I've not received any confirmation of the request and now can't find the page I made the request from so I'm not holding out much hope on that one.

I've also contacted Evans Cycles and asked if my IP address has been blocked and have been told:
"This is not something that has been done by us. We are unable to block individuals from reaching our website. Therefore, I would ask that you contact your provider."

I feel like I've tried everything I can but now have got nowhere left to go.

I'm just wondering if any one else on Virgin Media Broadband has the same issue or if it's just me?

I couldn't find another similar posts which leads me to think it's just me.

I know I've waffled on long enough thanks for getting this far.

Simon

bromham
Fibre optic
Message 15 of 95
Flag for a moderator

The "resolution" (well, the only one you have any control over) is to select one of the many IP addresses used by Evans Cycles, check that it works and then force your PC to stick to it, by entering it in the Windows host file, which is located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.  You can discover some of the IP addresses used by Evans Cycles by opening a command window and typing "nslookup www.evanscycles.com".  Pick one, put it in the hosts file, see if it works.  If not, repeat until you find one that does work.   Take the line out of the hosts file in a month or so, by which time the underlying fault may have been fixed.

The problem seems to be that Evans Cycles publishes a very large number of IP addresses, some of which don't work.  Once your PC has an address that doesn't work, it will tend to cache it and keep on using it.  I've seen no evidence that this is a VM fault.

0 Kudos
Chris5628
Tuning in
Message 16 of 95
Flag for a moderator

I have an issue that I cant access this site on three different mobile phones and there different laptops when using wifi on VM however if I come off the said service VM and use O2 data 4g it works fine... the minute I reinstate wifi it goes of so I do not understand who or where the fault lies. I can go to my neighbours who is on talk talk and use their wifi and it works fine. I can go to another neighbour's house who is on Sky and it works just fine. I go to another neighbour's house who is on VM and I get the same issue it doesn't work. So I really do not understand where the problem lies. My only resolution is to ditch Virgin media and go to an internet service provider that can support issues.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 95
Flag for a moderator

Using a vanilla VM connection with DNS set to Googles public ones-

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I cant get it to fail.

No idea about 1.1.1.1 as I wouldn't touch cloudflare with a bag of em....

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 18 of 95
Flag for a moderator

ecw.jpg

I took this screengrab a couple of minutes ago and it works fine.  It works in both Chrome and Edge.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
DavidGibson
Tuning in
Message 19 of 95
Flag for a moderator

Failing in Edinburgh for 2 of us, with the same behaviour.

• Fails on a PC with unadjusted DNS.
  • Works with a VPN.
  • Fails on a mobile connected to Virgin Wi-Fi.
  • Switch off Wi-Fi and use Virgin mobile connection, and Evans site works.
0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 20 of 95
Flag for a moderator

That simply means that VM's DNS for customers in Edinburgh is providing an IP address for www.evanscycles.com that doesn't work.  Now that could be the fault of VM or it could be the fault of Evans Cycles but, when I looked into this earlier in the thread, I saw at least one IP address being offered by Evans Cycles' authoritative DNS server that simply didn't work.  So, in the absence of any contrary evidence, I'm inclined to blame Evans Cycles.

The reason why one connection works and another doesn't is because different DNS resolvers cache (remember for a time) different IP addresses from the pool of addresses offered by Evans Cycles.  Most of those addresses work but some don't.

A simple workaround is described earlier in the thread (find an IP address that works and put it in your local hosts file).