Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

UPGRADE TO A HUB 3

HI,

I been with virgin media for around 6 years and still have a HUB2, i have seen post about upgrading to a HUB3 online via virgin connect app, i have tried this and nothing is working, a virgin media page opens saying 'oops something went wrong' i have logged into me virgin media account and looked to see what upgrades are available and the same page opens. 

is this upgrade still available? and is there a way of getting this upgrade online without having to call virgin media?

many thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: UPGRADE TO A HUB 3

If the free upgrade link doesnt work and you get "oopsed" (I always do too!) it means you on an odd or old package that the system hasn't been coded for to recognise - so you have to call in to discuss it.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

When you do, you have a ~50% chance that the CS rep hasn't a clue about what you are after and will want to charge you - if that happens - just say no thanks and hang up.

A VM person on here should pick this up in a few days and sort it for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thank you for your reply,

i got ''oopsed", i'll wait to see if i get a reply from a VM Person.

calling Virgin drives me mad..

thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @PFC111

Cheers for joining our Community and thanks so much for your first ever post. Is there any particular reason you're looking to take out a new Hub at the moment? Are you experiencing any issues with your broadband currently? 

Customers will be contacted directly when it is time to upgrade their equipment free of charge; we have recently contacted a few thousand customers who are on our older models in order to upgrade.

I've located your account from your forum information to take a closer look for you - all seems to be looking great - apart from the fact our system advises that your Hub has not been rebooted in 123 days! For a hub with that much uptime, you have very little errors showing; all signal levels seem to be well within the points we'd expect. I'm not able to see any issues from this end. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie

thank you for your message.

the reason i am looking to upgrade my hub is because my wife is working from home and her laptop looses connection to the internet quite often, her IT team saying that her laptop is running fine and it our internet, i have moved the hub to a location where it will work its best, i.e not in a tv unit and or not in a corner of a room, but she is still having trouble so i have put it down it possibly being the hub.

i am also requesting a new hub because Virgin media has put the offer out to anyone that has an  hub2 or older for a free upgrade.

when connecting to the hub via WiFi  on a mobile phone ect, a list of possible connection appear in our proximity mine being virgin i have two connection to choose from G2 and G5. should i have more to choose from or  is 2 connection correct?

many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is her laptop on a wifi connection? If not can she connect it by Cat5e or better ethernet cable? That will make the connection rock steady.

2G & 5G are the two SSID's you should see - one for the better/faster 5GHz band and one for the old 2.4GHz band.

If she has to use wifi, you should consider getting your own better quality wifi equipment - I did that years ago and never have any connection issues with that and the SH2 in modem mode.

There are few on here that would say that the Hub3 wifi is any better than the Hub2's - only real reason is to get >200Mbps - which is the SH2 maximum.

In any case they may give you a Hub4 which seems to have a few teething troubles judging from posts on here

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Katie_WT wrote:

apart from the fact our system advises that your Hub has not been rebooted in 123 days!

My hub has not been rebooted for even longer and its fine only time it gets a reboot is when the power goes out!

Hubs should have a uptime of over a year and still be fine you don't hear networks say "that CMTS needs a reboot its been up for over 100 days" !

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response legacy1,

When customers call through to our faults department, or come through to our team on the Community Forums, we are encouraged to reboot or request a reboot/reset of the hub if this has an uptime of over 10 days, to see if this can resolve a fault for a customer.

This may not fix the issue, but it is an important part of the diagnostic process we need to go with, with the customer.

@PFC111, if you're able to shed further light on this, by answering the questions from @jbrennand that would be appreciated

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos