Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Total Loss with Virgin Media

Firstly I do not expect anyone on this forum can help with this issue (though I could always be surprised) as the one thing I have noticed from dealing so long with Virgin is that when you are waiting on them to do something, they WILL NOT put anything in writing. It is all done by phone calls.

On 24th October we lost broadband, phone and TV access. At the time work was being carried out on the pathways near our property. I rang Virgin, an engineer would attend on October 25th. An engineer (David, tech id 98692) attended on October 25th. He said that the recent works must have slightly pulled at our cable causing it to tear apart. He also said that our cable shouldn't have torn this easy and that it had been spliced at one end, like a temporary fix (we've had this cable for more than 5 years under our driveway). He said he had reported us as a total loss and that from 2 working days later we would receive compensation of £8 per day (this was confirmed by virgins centre as being October 30th). The call centre employee stated that we would be repaired in 1-2 weeks.

Fast forward 2 weeks and no sign of any repairs, rang the call centre and was diverted to the construction team who apologised as we'd been given the wrong date as it should be 6-8 weeks. The actual date it will be repaired is December 6th with a completion date of December 9th.

Fast forward to week commencing December 9th, no sign of any repairs so at the end of the week we were back on the phone, again through to the construction team and now with a new date of January 7th. No reason why the original date wasn't kept.

By this point we'd already raised this as an official complaint (COM103776733).

We've returned from a family holiday this morning (11th Jan) expecting to be online and again nothing. Gone to bed to get rid of the jet-lag and I've got a voicemail message from Aidan in the construction team at 11am this morning. We now have ANOTHER date of January 24th!!! Again no reason why the previous date wasn't kept.
We also have a letter from Karen Walker the Customer Services Director stating that they are still  trying to resolve the complaint but as THIS is now more than 8 weeks old we can approach CISAS about it. This letter has a telephone number and web address for CISAS but again no phone number or email address for her!

The Virgin junction box is roughly 30-40 feet from my driveway, I've taken a picture and will try to add a link.

Virgin box.jpg

I've been a customer of virgin media since they started, before that I was with telewest. I have been one of their biggest fans and my only criticism of them is their call centres. Now I simply despise them. BT are currently upgrading the broadband in my area to around 250Mbps which is GREAT news for me. I'm starting to think Virgin media don't want to fix it so they don't have to credit me, so I move to another provider and then lose the credit. We are still being charged £75 per month for the full service for the last 3 months with no service.

If anyone here can help me in anyway I would be so grateful, I've seen people on this forum complaining about a loss of service for a few days, I'm over 10 weeks and heading for 12 weeks. I'm typing this seething with anger and also Jetlag, my brains a bit fried but hopefully I have portrayed what we're still going through.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Total Loss with Virgin Media

So how come your "Automatic compensation didn't kick in back in October ? Did the "timer" not start then ?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Apparently you only get the credit when the fault has been fixed.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah yes I recall that now - details will be in the second link. You could of course just leave for another provider without penalty now because your contract is not being honoured by VM and still receive the credit (by cheque) from the start date to the date of your leaving

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi mark__s, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear of the experience you've had so far, so I can look into this further I'll need to send you a private message to get a few more details.

Kind regards, 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex,

I have responded by PM for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well things just keep getting better.

After being promised a date of January 25th from 1pm to 6pm and was told someone needs to be in the property for my services to be checked when the work is completed. We've stayed in all afternoon and been greeted with nothing. No one showing up, no phone calls, nothing. 

This is an absolute farce.

I presume I'm entitled to and additional £25 compensation for a missed appointment on top of today's £8 for loss of service.

I NEED SOMEONE TO GET THIS SORTED WITH HIGH PRIORITY!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Another update:

Just been told theres a blockage in the pipe. I waited 6-8 weeks for this to be sorted which was done at the start of January and then pulled through on 7th/25th January. 

This confirms that Virgin media have done nothing since 24th October. My new 'fix' date is 13th February. 

I'm now looking for this to go to a small claims court. If virgin cannot get this sorted then I will have to escalate it.

0 Kudos