Menu
EmilyKate
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Terrible speeds, under 50% agreed rate

I’ve run speed tests for 3 days straight and we’re getting less than 50% of the agreed speeds on our contract which according to the contract means we can leave. And yet... I can’t speak to anyone to fix it.

This customer service is shocking. Does anyone know how to hell to get any help from virgin media? Apparently putting in complaints doesn’t work.

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible speeds, under 50% agreed rate

are you testing those speeds over a wireless or wired conneciton? if wireless, they don’t count i’m afraid..
0 Kudos
EmilyKate
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

We weren’t supplied with a way of wiring in. And also we pay for WiFi so why would it have to be a wired connection? The point is we need to be able to work in our office which is a room over from the box, no way to wire in

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So posting here is probably your best bet in this sort of situation, if you do want to progress down the route of cancelling service then submitting a complaint here https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/contactus/make-a-complaint

If you wish to try identify the issues and maybe try troubleshoot them then we can try help with that.

PS. Please don't post multiple posts this will only increase the time it takes for Virgin staff to get to your post here.

If I've helped let me know 🙂

10 year's managing 9 Virgin Media accounts, and things never got any better, closed last 4 accounts since January 2021 :L

I give 'my' experience to help where possible.
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@EmilyKate wrote:

We weren’t supplied with a way of wiring in. And also we pay for WiFi so why would it have to be a wired connection? The point is we need to be able to work in our office which is a room over from the box, no way to wire in

You don't pay for WiFi I'm afraid this will be stipulated in the terms and conditions, Virgin only have to supply the speed to the 'hub' its your responsibility to ensure you have whats needed to connect your devices in the household.

If I've helped let me know 🙂

10 year's managing 9 Virgin Media accounts, and things never got any better, closed last 4 accounts since January 2021 :L

I give 'my' experience to help where possible.
0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@EmilyKate wrote:

whilst the device virgin supplies provides wifi, unfortunately it is not covered in the speed guarantee and no level of wifi performance is guaranteed as part of your contract.

testing the wired connection will tell you whether it’s just a wifi problem or potentially if there’s an issue with the underlying connection.. 

0 Kudos
EmilyKate
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. That’s helpful. I’ve been advised by the connect app to get a booster but then it tells me they’re not available. Can I buy a non virgin media one or does it need to be one theirs? 

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@EmilyKate wrote:

Thanks. That’s helpful. I’ve been advised by the connect app to get a booster but then it tells me they’re not available. Can I buy a non virgin media one or does it need to be one theirs? 

you can buy a non-virgin one.. but boosters aren’t great.. and you’re probably better off buying a better router, mesh system or run a cable to the other room and stick an access point on the end of it. 

0 Kudos
EmilyKate
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Great thank you. Well its telling me theres an issue so hopefully might aactually hear from someone at Virgin Media to help! 

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@EmilyKate wrote:

Great thank you. Well its telling me theres an issue so hopefully might aactually hear from someone at Virgin Media to help! 

usually takes a few days to get a response from VM forum staff..

Boosters have recently been replaced with wifi pods - you need to call to order them though they aren’t accepting new orders until Jan 31st as there’s no stock at the moment..

worth noting that unless you’re on the gig package or an ultimate oomph package, the cost of wifi pods is £5 per month.. you can form your own opinion about the value of that vs buying your own.. but IMHO you’re better off buying your own kit.. 

0 Kudos