cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Hub 4 Wifi from only 1.8 Metres away.

Tronn206
On our wavelength

I recently upgraded from M500, which averaged 554Mbps over WIFI using a Hub 3, io 1Gbps. First problem is that I received a Hub 4 instead of the advertising Hub 5, which is the main reason for the upgrade due to my laptop being capable of WIFI 6. Having no option I, begrudgingly, installed the Hub 4. 

My problem now,  apart from not receiving a Hub 5, is although I am getting 1144Mbps to the Hub 4, using samknows.com, I'm only getting about 420Mbps on 802.11ac WIFI FROM 1.8 Metres clear line of sight. This speed is from https://www.speedtest.net/ because for some reason samknows.com is reporting about 77.3Mbps.😢 

I've tried every Hub 4 and network setting I can find. I'm stuck.

Oh yeah. This is using an MSI GF66 11UG katana laptop.

13 REPLIES 13

Stobbsy74
Superfast

420mbps is very good for a hub 4 over wifi. The hub 4 is wifi 5, and in real world speeds for any wifi 5 router, 400mbps is quite decent. It is a limitation of wifi5 tech in general, not just the hub 4. I'm surprised you were getting 500 plus with a hub3.

If you are not happy with this speed then your only real options are.

• Wait in the hope you can get a possible hub5 in the next 12 months.
  • Connect to hub 4 via ethernet cable if you are so near to hub 4.
  • Purchase your own 3rd party wifi 6 or 6e router and stick hub 4 in modem mode.

Even with a hub 5, or a wifi 6 router, you are unlikely to get 1gig over wifi. I have a wifi6 mesh system and wifi 6e laptop and I max out at around 850mbps.

@Stobbsy74 wrote:

420mbps is very good for a hub 4 over wifi. The hub 4 is wifi 5, and in real world speeds for any wifi 5 router, 400mbps is quite decent. It is a limitation of wifi5 tech in general, not just the hub 4. I'm surprised you were getting 500 plus with a hub3.

If you are not happy with this speed then your only real options are.

• Wait in the hope you can get a possible hub5 in the next 12 months.
  • Connect to hub 4 via ethernet cable if you are so near to hub 4.
  • Purchase your own 3rd party wifi 6 or 6e router and stick hub 4 in modem mode.

Even with a hub 5, or a wifi 6 router, you are unlikely to get 1gig over wifi. I have a wifi6 mesh system and wifi 6e laptop and I max out at around 850mbps.

But my laptop is only 1.8 metres away from the Hub 4 using 5 Ghz, protocol 802.11ac. I should be getting a much better speed than 420Mbps. That's less than the WIFI speed I was getting on my Hub 3 on 500Mbps broadband!

I've basically upgraded because I wanted a Hub 5, which is WIFI 6,  and ended up with slower WIFI speed than I Had. And no I'm not going to run an ethernet cable across the living room!

Is your network adapter configured for 802.11ac?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

@Tronn206 wrote:

But my laptop is only 1.8 metres away from the Hub 4 using 5 Ghz, protocol 802.11ac. I should be getting a much better speed than 420Mbps. That's less than the WIFI speed I was getting on my Hub 3 on 500Mbps broadband!

Distance isn't the only factor.

I've seen poor performance when very close to the AP (hub, router) due to wireless chipset incompatibility (despite 'standards') and a whole host of other things.

• Have you tried changing channels
  • settings?
  • tried using a Wi-Fi analser app?
  • Checked wireless drivers are all up to date?
  • Correct settings on the laptop for the wireless adapter?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Use a wire for more speed, its not like the hub comes in your house without a wire we are not at the point where wireless is stable and faster then wire
---------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest you Google wifi 5 real world speeds.

@Stobbsy74 wrote:

I suggest you Google wifi 5 real world speeds.

Well the theoretical maximum for 802.11ac (WIFI 5) is about 1300Mbps.  I've just tested using https://www.speedtest.net/ and I'm currently getting 403Mbps. If I was in another room then I would be more accepting but I'm in the same room, only 1.8 metres between Hub 4 and laptop with a clear line of sight!

Also as I mentioned in my original post, before the upgrade on the same Laptop (MSI Katana GF66 11UG) with a Hub 3 and M500 broadband (sitting in the same seat) I constantly got over 520Mbps. I'd hope I would get more than that.

@Sephiroth wrote:

Is your network adapter configured for 802.11ac?

Hi

Sorry. Read your post wrong. Yes it is. Been permanently Googling for optimal settings.

Theoretical figures dont mean anything. You only have to look at what companies theoretical figures they give on battery life on phones and smart watches, miles to gallon on cars, they are never any way near in the real world. The same is the same with wifi speeds.

In the Real world, you are not going to get better than 400-500 even 0.5m from the router on a wifi 5 router.