cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link Deco

gingermoonman
On our wavelength

Thinking of getting a TP Link Deco mesh set up as not happy with my Hub 4, can people recommend a certain model an are they easy to set up?

67 REPLIES 67

someone mentioned there is a way to set up the M5's and a Hub 4, can someone please point me in the right direction, cheers

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this...

There's (reportedly) a quirk with the Deco line that means you have to do the initial setup of the first deco unit whilst connected to the hub when it is in router mode (so there is an internet connection to TP-Link).  So plug the first unit in and register the Deco with the App.

Then, set up the fisrt Deco (in its settings) with its WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode (not Bridge or AP modes), it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from the Deco and switch it off and unplug it.

Next, put the VM Hub into modem mode...

( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )

...and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Now, switch the first Deco on again and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from it into the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM Hub and wait ~5 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection from that one.   Switch the other Deco's on and use the recommended App/instructions to connect them to the first one (they can sometimes take a minute or two).

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the Deco to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically - up to you.

If your speeds seem to be capped at ~100Mbps, check that this issue hasnt occured...

DECO unit QoS defaults to 100 - see message 2 in….

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upgraded-from-100-to-200-with-no-difference/td-p/4931648

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

does the Sam Knows Real speeds 1gb speed test work with the TP-Link Decos?

@gingermoonman wrote:

does the Sam Knows Real speeds 1gb speed test work with the TP-Link Decos?

No it won't work. The Realspeed tests rely on there being a software component or agent running on the device - VM include this agent within the firmware of the Hub 3 and 4, but it is only active if the hub is in router mode, switch it to modem mode and the agent is disabled.

Now I suppose there is no reason by TP-LINK couldn't arrange (although I'm sure it costs) to include it in the firmware of the Deco, except it wouldn't really be too informative as you really need it running on the 'first' component in the chain, ie the cable modem itself.

John

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The nearest you could get is to install the Ookla SpeedTest code onto the Deco if you can install third party software. I run it on my UDM pro and it’s very good.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Will have purchased the Deco M5's should be coming tomorrow, wish me luck and fingers crossed I get a better wi-fi speed than I have been getting with the Hub 4!!!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Set it up in this sequence...

With Deco's, you have to do the initial setup of the first Deco unit whilst connected to the hub when it is still in router mode. So wire the Deco into the Hub to get it online and registered Via the App, Then in the Deco settings set the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from the Deco and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )
and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch your Deco back on and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do) and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min)

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection.

Use the recommended App to connect any other Deco units to the first one (can take a few minutes to optimise positions) .

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Can I ask if for some reason I can not get the Decos working can I just unplug them and put the Hub 4 back into router mode and not modem mode? Working at home at the moment and do not want to not be able to work

Chees

Yes you can, the ‘get out of jail free’ card is a factory reset of the VM hub. To do this, you need to get a bent (or possibly unbent) paperclip and press the little rest button on the back of the hub, you will ‘feel’ it click home, hold it in for a good 69 seconds, the hub should reboot on it’s own and be in the same state as it was when first delivered to you.

Already stumbling on setting this up!!! Have left the Hub 4 in router mode, plugged in 1st Deco and then followed instructions on app, get to the bit where I create a network and I wanted to use same network name and password but says I can not do this as already it already exists?

IMG_9215.jpeg